ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my number 6 injector yesterday because it was sticking open. After I installed the new one everything worked great. Went out for a little bit and then it started running bad, skipping, etc etc.
Now on occasion it does this, and then works itself out (or I wiggle the plugs at the front of the motor temp switches and thermotime switch, which have no effect now).

I started unplugging injectors one at a time until I found the ones that when I took them out nothing changed (motor stayed the same level). The ones that have no effect are #1 and #4.
Does anyone know why they would all of a sudden stop working? There is spark at the plugs, the plugs are new. I have not checked for voltage at the injectors yet (what should it be across the two terminals?).

If anyone has had this problem let me know as quick as possible.

Thanks,
Tim Hill
[email protected]

·
Registered
486 Posts
Re: It is a 77 Z By the way.

Check the plugs themselves. Clean them up really well and use some dielectric grease, for electronics on them when you reassembly them. Get the grease for $1.00 at checker. This happened to me and I could not figure out what was going on with the car, all of a sudden it would run very rough, then fine. Finally, I found that the injector plugs where dirty and loose. If you have to, use a small screwdriver to bend the plugs conductor a little to squeeze it more, understand?
Good Luck,
Joshua L.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's almost certainly corrosion in the connectors

I ended up replacing the connectors on my 78. The original ones were cracked and just plain worn out from the heat and age.
If the connectors themselves are still intact there is no reason you shouldn't keep them after cleaning them really well with a little strip of fine sandpaper, some contact cleaner and finally adjusting their grip with a small screwdriver.

There are 10 of these Bosch connectors on the car. You should check and clean them all. Also the plug under the AFM and the one on the TPS experience the same corrosion.

BTW - I replaced all of my old (leaking) injectors with newer (but still used) injectors and when I started the car I couldn't believe that the car was running so rough. It turned out that one of the injectors was not working! Talk about cussing! I had to take the whole thing apart again. I was going to throw the bad injector away, but instead I whacked it against my vise and then gave it some voltage. The **** thing worked! So I put it back in the car and it runs perfectly.

Steve G

> I replaced my number 6 injector yesterday
> because it was sticking open. After I
> installed the new one everything worked
> great. Went out for a little bit and then it
> started running bad, skipping, etc etc.
> Now on occasion it does this, and then works
> itself out (or I wiggle the plugs at the
> front of the motor temp switches and
> thermotime switch, which have no effect
> now).

> I started unplugging injectors one at a time
> until I found the ones that when I took them
> out nothing changed (motor stayed the same
> level). The ones that have no effect are #1
> and #4.
> Does anyone know why they would all of a
> sudden stop working? There is spark at the
> plugs, the plugs are new. I have not checked
> for voltage at the injectors yet (what
> should it be across the two terminals?).

> If anyone has had this problem let me know
> as quick as possible.

> Thanks,
> Tim Hill
> [email protected]

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had a similar problem with my '78 280. Intermittent misfire, very intermittent, which finally turned into a dead miss on injector 4 & one of the other ones (can't remember). I ended up replacing the computer and 2 injector resistors. Been running fine since. Try hitting the junk yards before buying new or refurb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.