ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '76 280z, which I had just had all of the injecters replaced. I had the number 4 cyclinder replaced first and then the rest about a month later. Now number 4 is not working.

The way I found this out was that I had started up the car and pulled out one spark plug. The engine Rpms dropped so I plugged it back in. Then I went to the next one and did the same.

When I got to number 4 the Rpms did not drop so I decided to change out the plug just in case it was fauled. But when I had replaced it and restarted the car and pulled the plug the Rpms still died down. The spark plug wires are all working I tested them on the engine case.

When I had the injecters changed I did not have them change out the fuel filter or clean out the tank. I truthfuly do not know when the filter was changed last, I know where it is but just dont know how long it has been there.

See the car used to be my dads but he gave it to me for my 17th birthday when he got his Izuzu Rodeo.

I have records of everything that was done to the car from the day that it was bought. But have not had time to look into when it was changed last. Could a dirty filter be the problem?

If I do have to change it out is it easy to do and what kind do I need? Also how long do they normally last? On the adverage how much would it cost to have my shop clean out the tank, and how long should it take?

Any and all HELP will be appreciated!!!

Thanx
Cuzi

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think you just answered yourself when you mentioned the fuel filter and tank. The last time I cleaned the tank it was nasty, and not hard to do. Just follow your manual and give it a try. The fuel filter is one of the easiest maintainance jobs you can do. Good luck!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: HELP FUEL INJECTERS KEEP CLOGGING!!!!!!!!!!

When it comes to filters for your Z "WHEN IN DOUBT CHANGE IT OUT"
I personally change my fuel filter every year because I store the car in the winter and I want peak performance. I also change my plugs every year. As far as the cost of the tank cleaning, I don't know that but it would be a good idea especially if the car gets stored every year.
ZR8ED.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Cuzi,
You may have maladjusted valves or low compression in that cylinder too. You really havn't convinced me that your injectors are clogged. Don't get me wrong Anthony and ZR8ED are giving you good advice you should change your filter yearly or get a better filter that is cleanable like a K&N. But my question is do you really have clogged injectors? The way to check this is to take a long slotted screwdriver and put it against the injector body with the car running. You should hear a ticking sound which means the injectors is firing. If not take a hammer (no kidding now!) and give the screwdriver a good whack while holding the slotted end against the injector body. They can take quite a bit so don't be shy. Then check and see if the injector is firing.
If it wasn't firing and then it starts it doesn't necessarily mean it was clogged, it could have just been stuck. Gasoline is the only good lubricant and if you park it for a while the gas turns to varnish.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to say you need to put your ear against the screwdriver handle to hear the injector ticking.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why did the plug foul would be of interest, too. Changing the F. I. gas filter should be done on a cold engine after it has sat at least overnight to allow the gas line pressure to bleed off. Catch the excess gas and do not allow it to ignite! Any aftermarket filter would work -- there was a factory recall many moons ago (before you were DNA)on OEM filters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.