ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEy I posted this awhile back but got not Responses. Ok I have an Automatic tranny in my 240Z. I have that old crappy DUAL points system but would like an electronic system that is reliable but not brain surgery putting it in. BUT MOST OF ALL I NEED a SYSTEM that WILL WORK WITH DUAL POINTS. The Pertronix System Does not come in dual points and I have called around and NO ONE has the DUAL POINTS SYSTEM. WHO does? i need any ignition but that mechanical junk that is already in their. WHO makes a Dual point Electronic Igntion for the automatic 240Z??
PLEASE help me.
Please help me.

Dustin Morris

·
Registered
715 Posts
Heres my observation, points suck if you are not trying to keep your car stock. You can connect a Crane cams hi6 to a dual point distributer, but they tell you to disconnect on set of points anyway.

For electronic ignition, dual points are not necisary. Correct me if im wrong, but dual points increase the saturation time of the coil (right?). With an electronic ignition, all the points do is trigger the sparkbox (hi-6 in my case).

The Hi-6 was fairly simple to hook up too, not brain surgury for sure.

Hey if you have anymore quesions just post, im on about once a day.-evan

·
Registered
715 Posts
Heres my observation, points suck if you are not trying to keep your car stock. You can connect a Crane cams hi6 to a dual point distributer, but they tell you to disconnect on set of points anyway.

For electronic ignition, dual points are not necisary. Correct me if im wrong, but dual points increase the saturation time of the coil (right?). With an electronic ignition, all the points do is trigger the sparkbox (hi-6 in my case).

The Hi-6 was fairly simple to hook up too, not brain surgury for sure.

PS- Mallory makes a dual point distributer for the Z, i have an extra if you are interested.
Hey if you have anymore quesions just post, im on about once a day.-evan

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> Heres my observation, points suck if you are
> not trying to keep your car stock. You can
> connect a Crane cams hi6 to a dual point
> distributer, but they tell you to disconnect
> on set of points anyway.

> For electronic ignition, dual points are not
> necisary. Correct me if im wrong, but dual
> points increase the saturation time of the
> coil (right?). With an electronic ignition,
> all the points do is trigger the sparkbox
> (hi-6 in my case).

> The Hi-6 was fairly simple to hook up too,

> not brain surgury for sure.
Dustin, we use 280zx distributors, and coils. The
ignition module is right on the distrbutor, and is an easy hookup, getting rid of the points.
My experience has been quicker starts, and car runs stronger. Joe

> Hey if you have anymore quesions just post,
> im on about once a day.-evan

·
Registered
482 Posts
The REASON for dual points

The main reason for dual-points is for emissions. With dual points, one set can be slightly more advanced than the other, which is good for cold startups and the like (less NOx and such). Once the correct operating temperature is reached, the second points are used, these are slightly less advanced. They are in use one at a time, they never operate together. So, with that said, YOU DON'T NEED DUAL POINTS. It serves no performance advantage.
My advice to you is to get a single point distributor from a 240Z, and install the pertronix in it. Will work great, and your car won't care, except for those tailpipe sniffers. But, when smogtime comes, you can swap back in the original dual point to pass smog, then switch back. The pertronix does not ruin any wiring, so you can swap any system back at anytime.
Or option two is to install the Transistor distributor from a 280ZX. This is also a fairly easy swap, and there are plenty of these around. I personally preferred the advance curve of the 240 over the 280ZX, which is why I'm running the 240 distributor with pertronix and MSD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.