ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! Dash and tail lights don't work

826 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Unknown User 
#1 ·
Any body know why the dash and tail lights would go out, yet the headlights still work. I checked the fuses and the fusible links but I still don't know whats wrong. Any ideas of how to fix it or which wires to test. Thanks

#2 ·
> Any body know why the dash and tail lights
> would go out, yet the headlights still work.
> I checked the fuses and the fusible links
> but I still don't know whats wrong. Any
> ideas of how to fix it or which wires to
> test. Thanks
The tail lights and the dash lights are on the same circut, that is why the are both out. The headlights are on a seperat circut. You may want to check the fuse with a meter if you haven't already, I have had bad fuses that looked good.

#3 ·
SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!

I had the same thing happen to me 2 months ago!!It turned out to be the taillamp fuse holder contacts(third one down on passenger side on 71 240).DO THIS, disconnect battery ground cable and then remove fuse block by unscrewing two screws and lifting fuse box out slighty. Then get some 600 grit sandpaper and tape and wrap it around a screwdriver, insert screwdriver as you would a fuse and twist for 30 seconds while holding slight pressure on contacts by squeezing them together around screwdriver with sandpaper attached.Remove and wipe contacts clean ,install new fuse and presto, lights should now work!! >later,norm

#4 ·
Re: SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!

I have also heard that with the older Z's, the solder joints on the back of the board holding the fuses needs to be resoldered because the connections deteriorate. If the fuse is not blowing due to a short, it should be esay enough to test with a voltmeter or light to see if there is voltage across the fuse clips. Try to do this on the back of the board as well as across the clips themselves. - John G.

> I had the same thing happen to me 2 months
> ago!!It turned out to be the taillamp fuse
> holder contacts(third one down on passenger
> side on 71 240).DO THIS, disconnect battery
> ground cable and then remove fuse block by
> unscrewing two screws and lifting fuse box
> out slighty. Then get some 600 grit
> sandpaper and tape and wrap it around a
> screwdriver, insert screwdriver as you would
> a fuse and twist for 30 seconds while
> holding slight pressure on contacts by
> squeezing them together around screwdriver
> with sandpaper attached.Remove and wipe
> contacts clean ,install new fuse and presto,
> lights should now work!! >later,norm

#5 ·

> I have also heard that with the older Z's,
> the solder joints on the back of the board
> holding the fuses needs to be resoldered
> because the connections deteriorate. If the
> fuse is not blowing due to a short, it
> should be esay enough to test with a
> voltmeter or light to see if there is
> voltage across the fuse clips. Try to do
> this on the back of the board as well as
> across the clips themselves. - John G.
On my 78 280Z the problem was the headlight switch. I'v also heard that the dash dimmer can be the problem, Fred

#6 ·

What a coincidence. Yesterday I posted a response to this item, then went home to give my 240Z some exercise since the weather was good, and when I pulled it into the garage for the night I discovered I had been driving with no running lights - only headlights. The dash lights had been so dim they were barely lit, and the dash dimmer knob operated so stiffly that I attributed the dash problem to the cold. Now I wonder what the problem is. Didn't stay out there long enough to check fuses etc. because it was so cold. I'll do that later. I'm wondering if it's the dash dimmer causing the problem, and if it will go away when the temperature goes up.

- John G

> On my 78 280Z the problem was the headlight
> switch. I'v also heard that the dash dimmer
> can be the problem, Fred

#7 ·
If it's not the fuses then it's this...

If you checked out all the fuse and fuse block items and are still having the problem:

Search the archives for headlight switch. I had the same problem and posted instructions on how to fix it.

The Headlight switch can get extremely hot because of all the resistance created by carbonized contacts inside the switch. There are seperate contacts for the headlights inside the switch. That's probably why they still work. You can jiggle the switch around and see if your dash lights flicker. It's quite easy to fix by taking it apart though.

Steve G

#8 ·

> What a coincidence. Yesterday I posted a
> response to this item, then went home to
> give my 240Z some exercise since the weather
> was good, and when I pulled it into the
> garage for the night I discovered I had been
> driving with no running lights - only
> headlights. The dash lights had been so dim
> they were barely lit, and the dash dimmer
> knob operated so stiffly that I attributed
> the dash problem to the cold. Now I wonder
> what the problem is. Didn't stay out there
> long enough to check fuses etc. because it
> was so cold. I'll do that later. I'm
> wondering if it's the dash dimmer causing
> the problem, and if it will go away when the
> temperature goes up.

> - John G
I had the same thing happen in these nissan cars two 720 4x4 trucks, 720 4x2 truck and 81 280zx na. All of these cars had this problem if I would run the heater sometimes it would fix it.Seemed to be worse when it was very cold.I took all of these cars to shops to get them fixed(very costly)After I got them back all the dimmers switches did not work after that but the dash light were alway on bight(could not dim them).I ask the mechanic to tell me how he fixed it, he told me it was a groud but would not tell me were. If anyone finds out what it is E-mail me.I know it something easy to fix because each time it takes less than an hour to fix.

p.s. just bought a 82zxt it's not doing this yet.

thanks , jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.