Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have this '77 280Z with a 4 speed trans. It has devolepted a Loud grinding noise which you can here when you first start the car and put your foot down on the clutch. If you have the car in neutral and let the clutch out the noise gets louder, although it is doesnt happen all the time. When you are driving the car and push in the clutch in the noise is REALLY loud or if you are coasting in gear but it is not there when you are accelerating. When you're sitting, (like say at a stop light), with your foot on the clutch the noise comes and goes. At first I thought it was a throw out bearing but then I had a friend listen to it and he seemed to think it was the input shaft bearing in the transmission. I can get a 5 speed trans at a bone yard for about $250 and a new clutch set (clutch disk, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing) for about $80. So what do you guys & dolls think? should I spring for the 5 speed or what? Also how much trouble is it to do the change over, will I have to change anything else ( like maybe the drive shaft?). Thanks in advance for your input. I love this site and have learned much from what I've read here. You people are the GREATEST!....Bert

P.S. I check this site at Least twice a day.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
yeah you'll have to use the shorter driveshaft for the 5 speed,,,,you also might have to cut the shifter hole in the tunnel a bit further back. also i think you have to use the transmission crossmember from the 5speed too.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
before you spend any $,drop the tranny and take a look,what if it's only a $10 bearing?the used 5 speed might be in worse condition unless it's in a Z that runs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.