ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding a 240-Z. Mating a 280 motor with a 5-Speed transmission. The flywheel and clutch currently attached to the motor came originally from my 240 (2.4 liter). Now Sam at Motorsport is telling me that 240 and 280 Flywheels are different - that the 280 flywheel's surface is of a larger diameter. Is this true? I've always hear that the Turbo and 2+2's have a larger size than the 2-Seaters, all of which have the same diameter clutch and Flywheel. So, can I use my old 240 Clutch with a 5-Speed Transmission? And if I choose to replace the Clutch, what should I buy? A 240 or a 280 Clutch? Centerforce or Stock? Will any or all of the above fit a Flywheel that was originally on a 1971 240-Z?

Just can't wait to get my car together and running!!!

John Mohan
[email protected]

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: HELP!!! Clutch Flywheel Engine Trans Compatabi

> I'm rebuilding a 240-Z. Mating a 280 motor
> with a 5-Speed transmission. The flywheel
> and clutch currently attached to the motor
> came originally from my 240 (2.4 liter). Now
> Sam at Motorsport is telling me that 240 and
> 280 Flywheels are different - that the 280
> flywheel's surface is of a larger diameter.
> Is this true? I've always hear that the
> Turbo and 2+2's have a larger size than the
> 2-Seaters, all of which have the same
> diameter clutch and Flywheel. So, can I use
> my old 240 Clutch with a 5-Speed
> Transmission? And if I choose to replace the
> Clutch, what should I buy? A 240 or a 280
> Clutch? Centerforce or Stock? Will any or
> all of the above fit a Flywheel that was
> originally on a 1971 240-Z?

> Just can't wait to get my car together and
> running!!!

> John Mohan
> [email protected]

John,
Your original assumptions is correct. The 2+2 and turbo have a physically larger flywheel, and a corespondingly larger clutch. I think it is 240mm vs 225mm. That is from memory. Any of the flywheels will bolt up to your crankshaft, for the bolt pattern is the same.
You can bolt up your original 240 clutch package and use the 5 speed. Where you need to be carefull is in the collar for the throwout bearing. If you utilize one that is too short, you will have problems. The 5 speeds require a much taller/longer collar. If you install the shorter 240 collar, it is likely that you cannot disengage the clutch. Try to match the collar to the year transmission you have. If you set the clutch,(not the plate, the diaphram part), on a flat surface, and the throwout bearing/collar on top of it, you should look for a total height of about 3.5 in. the 280 clutches are flatter,(not as tall), and that is why they need the longer collar. So a totally 240 setup or a totally 280 setup will work fine.
So what clutch? I am running the centerforce II. I like it, for it has the feel of a firm stock clutch, but holds much more. Now, I am running a whole lot more power than you likely are. Less power will make it more grabby,(the higher power slips it a little longer, hard to explain but it does). If you have upgraded the power in some way, I would stick with at least a new stock clutch. You should look into using the 2+2 flywheel/clutch or turbo,(which is the same). Check out the Datsun garage homepage, listed below, and he talks about using the 2+2 flywheel clutch and how it works.
-Bob Hanvey

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: HELP!!! Clutch Flywheel Engine Trans Compatabi

I second that motion. I used the CenterForce parts on my 240Z (automatic>>5sp conversion) which had a beefy 280Z motor in it. I didn't have the slippage and she was a dream to drive [shift].

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.