ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove my 1983 280z on 1/31 and parked it. Everything seems O.K. Next morning, car will not start. It will crank but will not turnover. Getting good spark from distributor and sparkplugs. Good fuel pressure (3/4 full) and air to EFI. I got a brief rough start but it sputtered and died. Could it be the brain (ECU)? Not to many local shops deal with my type/age of car.
I am driving the wife's minivan and she is not happy.
Please help.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Re: HELP, Car will not start, Driving the Wife's v

> Drove my 1983 280z on 1/31 and parked it.
> Everything seems O.K. Next morning, car will
> not start. First thing, check to see if the injectors are firing (hold a screwdriver to the injector body, and put your ear on the handle. Have an assistant crank the car over, and listen for a click click click. Also check the output of your battery. Below a certain voltage, the engine will turn over, but it will not bias the cpu into allowing the injectors to pulse. If the voltage is good, and the injectors are firing, look for any loose vacuum hoses, unplugged connector at the TPS, or MAS. If voltage is good, but the injectors are not firing, Visually check EVERY fuse, and fusible link you can find (they are hidden everywhere, including the engine compartment. Z's normally don't croak, and the only ECU replacement I have ever seen to be needed, was a ZX turbo that was submerged up to the dashboard. This not being your case, you should be back on the road, given these efforts. Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

> not start. It will crank but will not
> turnover. Getting good spark from
> distributor and sparkplugs. Good fuel
> pressure (3/4 full) and air to EFI. I got a
> brief rough start but it sputtered and died.
> Could it be the brain (ECU)? Not to many
> local shops deal with my type/age of car.
> I am driving the wife's minivan and she is
> not happy.
> Please help.
I had a same type of problem on my 80' zx.
it turned out to be a combination of deposites on the distributor lugs and a defective high tension wire. I could actully see the sparks jumping from
the distributor to the negative input terminal on the distributor. If you have an DMM(ohm meter)
measure the high tension wire, it shoul be around 5000 ohms, not any higher. Also either replace the cap or if not to pitte or simply remove the deposits with a knife.
tom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

> not happy.
> Please help.
Stuart, you said that your fuel pressure was good
(3/4 full). You need to check it with a pressure guage, and i would do a volume test at the same time, to make sure it has the proper amount of fuel available at the injectors. Also, I would buy a noid light, about $10.00 at snap on, or Mac tools, to test the injector pulse.
Please feel free to call, if you have any questions. Thanks, Joe
ALL Z EAST 1-800-533-5659

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

> not happy.
> Please help.
I had exactly the same problem with an 83. I tried alll of the above mentioned suggestions and it still wouldn't fire. Finally getting tired of a 16 year old telling me to change the plugs, I did. That allowed the car to start. It appears that I had gas fouled the plugs. Normally I would guess just letting it set would solve the problem, not in my case. Try it. It might work.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

my car also wont start I have checked every thing
I get a nice blue spark from the plugs and they are clean

would changing the plugs help maybe some how?
they seem good but maybe somethings not right
with them it has not run since 12/20/98
sniff sniff my baby...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: Alright Alright, Here's what I did

> my car also wont start I have checked every
> thing
> I get a nice blue spark from the plugs and
> they are clean

> would changing the plugs help maybe some
> how?
> they seem good but maybe somethings not
> right
> with them it has not run since 12/20/98
> sniff sniff my baby...

I just got my 78 280 running this past weekend.
Here's what I did. After checking the plugs(all of them), I pulled the no.6 injector and it was working too. I just assumed that all of them were working. After being dumbfounded I put a test light to the plug going to the injectors(to check for a pulse) I couldn't get a pulse at the other 5. Someone told me it was the computer. So I changed that. Then I was told that the AFM always goes out. So I changed that. After talking to all of the world's foremost authority type of people, I proceded to pull the entire fuel rail that feeds the injectors. When I did that I found that only 2 of the injectors were working (and barely at that). Instead of going out and buying six injectors(at $40 a pop, screw that)I pulled each injector and figured out that 2 didn't have good connections and 2 were clogged. I cleaned up all of the connections and gave each one an enima. Take an air compressor and blow air through the injector (reverse flow). Have a buddy hold the air on the injector and, using a 12v source, open each one until you see the air come out the input side. Low and behold the **** thing ran. Remember the mechanical part of the engine only needs three things to start: air, gas, and timed spark.

Hope this helps out it worked for me(sorry so long)
Questions? E-mail me JN

·
Registered
486 Posts

I think that maybe what also should be checked are all your wires from your battery. I had corrosion down in the wire under the plastic insulator, it looked fine but wasn't. That one ran the fuel pump. This was my 83, and it ran great one day, the next morning, nothing! Also, today it did the same thing after a couple years, just would not start. The nut holding the ignition wire on the coil, the little wires, as almost off not getting enough power to the coil to fire the plugs. Check all the connection you can. Usually in this type of case it is something stupid, it just happens one day. What else can go out and do this is the amplifier on the distributor, but usually under heat. Plugs can really help.
Joshua L.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.