ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well not quiet that serious, but still bad my electrical system is goin out. I have a 1973 240z... everthing that runs off the Accesorys circut i.e. Gauges, blinkers, Tachometer, are all goin out one at a time first the tach stoped working, then my fuel gauge and my engine would missfire and surge at high rpm's now when the fuse was replaced the engine ran like normal and all the working gauges turned back on along with my blinkers etc. but that did not last long maybe a whole day or two of driving and at random the fuse poped. Ok i know i got a short the problem is finding it..... A wiring diagram would be very helpful along with any other advice..

Thanks....for all the help lately
Thomas

·
Registered
567 Posts
Re: >>>>>Help Car falling apart!!&l

are you sure its not your voltage regulator? my 71 had the same problem and the guy who used to own it tried to bypass the fuses by sticking wire in between, and eventually it fried the harness. If its good, then check the wires on the passenger sides up behind the glove box . thats where everything meets. there is a part which rubs on metal and may have owrn through the wires.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Re: >>>>>Help Car falling apart!!&a

yes. it could be the VR or the alternator (generator). They are hooked directly into a lot of stuff.

Maybe... water is leaking down from the bottom of the windscreen and screwing things up??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine has just started doing the same thing. It started as one dim headlight, then the clock (no biggie there, it was amazing it worked anyway!!), this morning my wipers froze in mid stroke when I turned my headlights on, but then continued when I turned my headlights off. Now, at lunch, it wouldn't start at the mini mart. Had to roll start it, luckily they start easy that way! What the heck is going on?! The only thing that I've had done to this car is a stereo install (professionally screwed up, mind you, at Car Toys; had to take it back because the "wire loom is so short that it pulled the power wire out" and fried the fuse on the radio). Do ya'll think this has anything to do with the sudden onslaught of electrical chaos? This car was so amazing because it DIDN'T have ANY electrical problems and now... ARRRGGH!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Thomas,
My 76 did the same exact thing. So.. the fix was:
Detach the positive lead from batery.I unscrewed the fuse panel
and cleaned all metal clips with sandpaper. Then took a pair of needle nose pliers and squeezed the clips together so that it
would get a better bite on the fuse. Then I replaced all fuses
and used diletric grease on fuses.
Of course this defies logic, but the fuses and clips do get corroded and just that little bit of extra tension on the fuse really helps.
Only cost $6 for new fuses.
This fixed all my Non fuel injected related problems.
turn signals, guages, low reading on my amp guage etc..
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.