ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so lately every now and then my car has a REALLY rough start, itll start then rev all the way down below 500 the dash lights will flicker, then itll rev back up. Is this the alternator going? all the electricals flash when this occurs as well. IF SO, whats a decent price for an alternator and should i just do the maxima swap? I have a book so it shouldnt be too hard to do. Thanks

Post Edited (Nov 21, 8:28pm)

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Re: Alternator I THINK

doesn't sound like an alternator to me... sounds like the car is being starved for fuel.
maybe a dying fuel pump?

after your car has sat for a minute or so, lower your windows and turn the key to "ON" and listen to the fuel pump. It should hum smoothly for 5-6 seconds and then turn off. If it sounds funny or stays on much longer than that, its definitely got a problem.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had my timing belt and fuel pump replaced about 2,000 miles ago u think thats it. IF it is IM PISSED!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I suppose it could be an alternator problem. Does it crank hard or just start rough?

Once you get it started, if you give it some gas does it continue as normal or does it continue to stumble?

And once you get it started, what does the voltmeter say read? It should be just below the 15V line if all is normal.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well its after its started that it does the up and down RPMs. Ill check the voltmeter next time thats a good obvious idea i didnt even think of. If i give it gas itll stop for a sec and then do it but if i give it enough for long enough( a good couple of secouns itll normal out.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I would go test it. Just start up the car, watch the voltmeter and turn on your lights. If the lights dim when the idle goes down and brighten when you give it gas, your alternator is definitely having some trouble keeping the system charged.

Another thing you could check is the Fuel Pressure Regulator and the Fuel Temperature Sensor. My car was acting funny when the FTS contact went bad. It would idle irratically and stall if I was driving and put it into neutral. When I had my foot on the pedal it would be fine, when I backed off the throttle it would jerk and stumble, when I slowed to a stop the idle would jump around and the car would stall. All the lights on the dash would blink as it struggled as you indicated above.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
shiro300zx wrote:

> turn on your car and hot rod the **** out of it if it backfires
> and runs like **** its your alternator
>

How does this make any sense? Why on earth would a dying alternator cause backfire?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.