ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alls i did was change the plugs and its running rough now and then it just die what could that be plug wires? they look good to me i dont understan i dont hear a hissing sound soo i dont think its vacum i am sooo lost help me please!

·
Registered
253 Posts
where the plugs gapped correctly? If they are not, the car will act like crap. How old are the wires?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Definitely check out your wires not only for burn marks (which would indicate a short) but also to make sure they were firmly pressed down and they are connected properly.

Make sure the spark plugs are properly gapped.

I believe (okay don't quote me) you can test the spark plugs by pulling them out, putting them in the spark plug wires and attempting to turn the car on - they should all spark. This could be a really bad idea so consult a 2nd opinion on this last note! There is a way to test them as welll. If that is all you touched it should be the source of the problem. Don't want to overcomplicate a simple issue.

-Stu85na

·
Registered
162 Posts
The last Z I bought had the 4 and 6 cylinder plugs cross threaded. When I did a compression test, they pumped up and immediately dropped down. I did the contortionist act and got a light down inside the hole at the right angle, and there was a lot of crud in the holes. Didn't want it all in the cylinders so pulled the head, ran a tap in from the bottom and cleared the holes. Plugs go in properly and engine runs fine. Cost a gasket and three twisted off bolts I had to drill out of the exhaust manifold. Check to see if the plugs screwed in right.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Then again.......it may be a very simple thing as the firing order and making sure you got the right plug wire on the right plug. Double check it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If you have them on right, then check wires with ohms meter for continuity. doesnt take much to wreck an old plug wire when changing plugs. become brittle with age

·
Registered
27 Posts
as far as the pulling the plugs out and putting the wire on you have to touch to outside of the plug to the engine block otherwise it won't spark. just a reply to one earlier

·
Registered
275 Posts
i would take out each plug and ensure they all go in correctly, had a buddy had the same symptoms ur saying, i took my compressor and blew all the dirt from around the plugs, then took them out and ensured they all went it good and straight, if u pay close attention one after another u can tell when ur crossthreading,,just doesnt feel right. good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
From your original post it seems your car was probably running 'okay', but you wanted to changed the spark plugs. Since then all **** is breaking loose. As stated make sure you are gapping the spark plugs correctly, however what I have not seen is the question: What type of spark plugs are you using? If you are using cheap champions or autolites, take them out and throw them away. Get a good set of NGK or ND if possible, if not, then go with the Bosch Plat +2 or +4.. they are pre-gapped and are nice. I wouldn't recommened anything else.

Lastly, as stated, check and or replace your spark plug wires. If you are going to replace them, again, stay away from cheap wire sets, go for the Borg Warner NASCAR sets which have extra heat shielding and a mag core. Again, this is what I use and have had great success with them. Most retailers give a lifetime warranty on wires, so as long as you don't abuse them, you can change them out once a year at no cost. Also, take the cap and rotor out and check the contacts on them. If they show obvious age replace those as well.

Also, continue to use fuel system cleaner every 3 to 4,000 miles (or every oil change). This keeps the injectors clean and helps keep the fuel delivery as clean as possible.

Happy driving!

Post Edited (Mar 6, 11:51am)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.