ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 1979 280zx today. Driving it home the AC condenser seized (I am assuming). I payed attention to my car and had noticed the AC had stopped working 20 mins before the car died on the highway, and upon starting it once I rolled to a stop and having it belt squeal at me and die immediately, I cut that belt, totally fixed THAT problem, and drove the rest of the way home without AC. I love my new 40 year old car.

Radiant
1979 280zx coupe in great shape, really.

·
Registered
979 Posts
looks nice, compressor IIRC is a MJ167 or something like that. Are you going to do the work or take it to a shop? It was designed around R-12 and a good shop should be able to keep it that way. Otherwise you will need to go thru the hassle of converting which can be done but IMHO staying with the R-12 is the way to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't decided. winter is coming. XD

I plan on doing the steering upgrade package I have seen on youtube this winter as well as rear struts. The car is fully driveable (and fun) right now but those would be nice to get out of the way. I also want to take the dash apart and figure out what's up with the poor airflow out of the vents. Also the internals of the passenger door could use some love.

The radio works, in AM, on one station, sports radio. I am not a huge fan of sports radio. One speaker appears to work in the dash - the speaker tuning joystick seems superfluous with only one working speaker. I was told the tape deck didn't work.

I love that it's a stock zx with minimal body issues that I'll be able to continue improving throughout the years. the 2.8 seems strong (145k miles) and the transmission shifts fine.

There is a rumble? vibration? with the power steering at low revs which I don't know about...

All in all it's a cool car and I'm already a forum nerd about homebrewing beer and glassblowing so this seemed a good fit.

I'm all ready to learn about my car with help from you guys.

Right now I'm finding room in my 2 car garage for 2 actual cars.

Cheers.

BSD

·
Registered
979 Posts
a few things to watch out for. the L28 is a very tough engine, BUT you do want to make sure the water pump is in good shape, I have WP break and bad things happen. So check it for radial play or just replace it with a new one. Bolts break on these old cars, so use what ever works for you when removing them. I have had the bolts break just removing the T stat housing. the water pump has 3 long bolts that go thru the timing chain cover. Careful not to break them. Check the valve lash, adjust as needed. Look into the kind of oil you should use on non roller bearing valve trains. Check the cam shaft chain for wear and look closely at the top of the tight side chain guide. I recently had a guide torn loose on a long trip, IF you can see it getting close to worn to metal OR if the chain is stretched beyond spec, you need to replace the chain/guide/tensioner/sprockets. Other than that the engine has been trouble free. You just don't want to overheat it, so keep an eye on the cooling, keep an eye on the oil level (check every fillup).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts