Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there Zer's
I have been messing around with diffrent distibutors in my car , I am trying the GM hei ,withg a 77 distributor, works great , ....except the tach won't go over 5 grand it reads fine until about 4k and above, the car feels like it is still pulling but the tach won't climb past the 5k mark, any one else running this set up? I left my tach wire as it was never touched it setting this up
so is the tach right , or is there somethind else I am missind?
oh I searched this one up and came up with nothing
thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: HEI Ignition question</b>

Since no one else posted a reply for you...this is my guidebook for doing the same upgrade soon. Check under Performance mods then Ignition. There is a wiring explanation. From what I've read there should be no change in the wiring for the tach, and it should work properly.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2824/

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Roy, I have seen that one here is another one worth looking at for you http://www.sonic.net/~kyle
I am wondering if the module I have might be the wrong one or inferior, I got mine at auto Zone, I cant come up with a reason why>
Tha tach was working fine, and the motor is running great with the set up
I had a 81 set up worked good except the vacum advance was not working properly
any wayzzzz
good luck

·
Registered
235 Posts
I did this conversion and have the same problem. I'm using an Accel HEI module and I know that the system is working. I believe that it is a problem with the tach, the inductive pickup may be at the lower tolerance for the system. My tach is an original 72.

If any one knows how to fix this (without replacaing the tach), I'd like to know.

James
72 3.0 Z
IZCC#81
[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.