ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I actually have coolant flowing through the heater core by using a plastic tie to hold the heater valve open, i'm still having a problem with it taking forever for warm air to start blowing out. I'v noticed that whenever I check my coolant level when the engine is off, there is no coolant in the hose with the fill cap and only about 1/3 full while the engine is running. There is good flow but just a very low coolant level. I'v tried topping it up but whenever I do that and i drive around I get perfect hot air, but after I drive my car for a day and check the coolant level it's very low again, and it will take forever to get warm air again. My guess is that my thermostat is not opening all the way and is restricting flow, or there's a kink in one of the hoses. I do, however, keep hearing a dripping sound comming from inside the engine right after i turn my engine off and my worst fear is that one of the coolant lines inside the engine has blow up and there is coolant leaking into the engine where it's probably mixing with my oil or being combusted with the fuel/air.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you had coolant leaking into your engine which is highly improbable since you can hear it, you will still be able to see water in your oil, usually it gets cloudy, or you'll see bubbles on yor dip stick. Water in your oil could be signs of a cracked head or bad gasket very expensive. The heater control valve is cheap about 100 $ at the dealer and 25$ at the junk yard. If your thermostat was not opening all the way your car would run hotter due to restriction in flow through you radiator.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
a new radiator is only $90 at NAPA. thats the place of greatest restriction on the cooling system, and the most likely place for clogs. replacing it is probably your best bet, but any tuner shop in town should be able to test your cooling system effeciency by measuring flow rate with an external pump and meter hooked up to your radiator hoses. Plus when i replaced my radiator with a new one, i was totally surprised with the difference in core sizes. (.5" original and 1.25" new core)

·
Registered
540 Posts
that dripping sound u hear is probly just heat.as far as fluid ,the rad cap is at the hi point in ur cooling supply so u will c air .if u have to constantly fill i would replace the rad cap.check the rad over flow container u will have the fluid ur missing ing in there .

·
Registered
793 Posts
Or you have a leak, But I agree with them replace that radiator, I was having problems with my heating system also theres only a couple of things that it could be thermo or the radiator is bad IE clogged up or you have a leak...

·
Registered
281 Posts
My radiator has a small leak in it, and i didnt even know it. Had it sealed, and i havent had to fill the system in months. Get a new one, or have it plugged to save some cash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.