ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all! well after going all last winter without a heater, i decided i would fix the heater in my 77z this year. i could survive without the heat, but not seeing out my windshield isnt good.( last year i ran over a cement median!!!!) i went out to fix it a couple of weeks ago but after lying there on my floor looking for a few minutes i decided i might survive another winter. but now i decided to fix it again so..... first off, i want to make sure that my heater core is the problem. my symptoms are, whenever i turn on the heater all the windows fog up with a film, and when i turn the lever to "cold" i can hear water squirting out from somewhere. now what do i have to do to fix this? it looks like it might be easier just to yank the whole dash out! anyhow thanks for your input.

·
Registered
497 Posts
check a cable actuated valve called the "heater ****" this usually leaks and would cause problems. you could just bypass the all the controls and make the heater hoses run straight to the heater core and make the heater always "on".

Good luck,
Aren

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
i have a 78, my heater doesnt work either. I dont get any heat at all. I checked heater valves, flushed the radiator, etc. none of that was the problem cuz all those parts worked.

I was wiggling levers and noiced that there was a spot that the controls mount to the tranny tunnel on the drivers side, it has a plastic pin that was broken off, its a mounting point right next to the floor blower opening. there is a lever/spring or something that pulls against this piece and since the pin was broke when you moved the lever it didnt do anything. It controlled the directional flaps in there somewhere (determines if it blows from the floor or the defroster etc) since that didnt work i got no heat. I put a screw in it and it worked a while but broke again. So my recommendation is to take it apart and see if your flaps are working when you move the levers, if they dont work your heater wont work. I dont have a good way to fix it, but if yours is broken maybe you could come up with something. Its a start right?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
oh yeah? on my 77, if i turn the heat to defrost or floor, i get heat. if i turn it to bi-level, i get heat on the floor and cold air out of the center vents. figure that out!?!?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
check all the hoses first...

I had my heater core cleaned to make sure it was ok and it was perfect... turned out one of the hoses going to the heater core had a crack in it... very easy fix to say the least and a lot cheaper than buying a new heater core.... this was in my 1981 280zx n/a

Dan

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: check all the hoses first...

Wonder why Datsun didn't utilize the a/c vents for the heater? All the heat goes down and your feet roast while the rest of you freezes. RexRoach 83zxt wrote:
>
> I had my heater core cleaned to make sure it was ok and it
> was perfect... turned out one of the hoses going to the
> heater core had a crack in it... very easy fix to say the
> least and a lot cheaper than buying a new heater core....
> this was in my 1981 280zx n/a
>
>
> Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.