ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My heater and defrost is not working right. In fact never has. I have 81 zx n/a with auto temp. system. On defrost all I get is hot air from the top and bottom and the windows fog up faster than a twin-turbo 300zx. This is the newest problem. . The defrost has worked fine in the past. The temperature control has never worked. On cold setting it's cold, but move it slightly to the warm side and it's just hot. Too hot.

Reading the Archives I see many z's have the same problem. I had to disconnect the auto temp air sensor because is was making too much noise, but this was years ago and it never changed how the system operated since I had the car. I'm thinking the Heater control valve is bad. I am wondering though where is this thing? Some of the archives say it's easy to get to up under the dash on the passenger side. All I see up there are wires and junk. One said through the glove compartment, but that is where the temp sensor is. Another said you have to take the dash out, oh I do not want to do that. One said too the a/c runs through it so you have to discharge the a/c. When I was pulling the passenger floor vent down I noticed a small drip of coolant. Does coolant run through this?

Sorry to be so long, and thanks for any help.

Randy Best
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
> My heater and defrost is not working right.
> In fact never has. I have 81 zx n/a with
> auto temp. system. On defrost all I get is
> hot air from the top and bottom and the
> windows fog up faster than a twin-turbo
> 300zx. This is the newest problem. . The
> defrost has worked fine in the past. The
> temperature control has never worked. On
> cold setting it's cold, but move it slightly
> to the warm side and it's just hot. Too hot.

> Reading the Archives I see many z's have the
> same problem. I had to disconnect the auto
> temp air sensor because is was making too
> much noise, but this was years ago and it
> never changed how the system operated since
> I had the car. I'm thinking the Heater
> control valve is bad. I am wondering though
> where is this thing? Some of the archives
> say it's easy to get to up under the dash on
> the passenger side. All I see up there are
> wires and junk. One said through the glove
> compartment, but that is where the temp
> sensor is. Another said you have to take the
> dash out, oh I do not want to do that. One
> said too the a/c runs through it so you have
> to discharge the a/c. When I was pulling the
> passenger floor vent down I noticed a small
> drip of coolant. Does coolant run through
> this?

> Sorry to be so long, and thanks for any
> help.

You can't get your heater fixed without the factory shop manual. ( I'd feel sorry for anybody who tried. ) Look in the Archives under Dyment.

Doug Dawson
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
> My heater and defrost is not working right.
> In fact never has. I have 81 zx n/a with
> auto temp. system. On defrost all I get is
> hot air from the top and bottom and the
> windows fog up faster than a twin-turbo
> 300zx. This is the newest problem. . The
> defrost has worked fine in the past. The
> temperature control has never worked. On
> cold setting it's cold, but move it slightly
> to the warm side and it's just hot. Too hot.

> Reading the Archives I see many z's have the
> same problem. I had to disconnect the auto
> temp air sensor because is was making too
> much noise, but this was years ago and it
> never changed how the system operated since
> I had the car. I'm thinking the Heater
> control valve is bad. I am wondering though
> where is this thing? Some of the archives
> say it's easy to get to up under the dash on
> the passenger side. All I see up there are
> wires and junk. One said through the glove
> compartment, but that is where the temp
> sensor is. Another said you have to take the
> dash out, oh I do not want to do that. One
> said too the a/c runs through it so you have
> to discharge the a/c. When I was pulling the
> passenger floor vent down I noticed a small
> drip of coolant. Does coolant run through
> this?

> Sorry to be so long, and thanks for any
> help.

> Randy Best
Randy, and anyone else having climate control problems,
If you don't care about keeping the auto climate control system, you can change over to the manual
heat/ac system, without discharging the freon.
We used to do these all of the time after the cars would come from Nissan dealers that gave up.
Taking the dash out is no big deal for anyone mechanically inclined. The wiring plugs in in
several large harness plugs that can't be mixed up.
Our mechanic used to convert these in 2-3 hours
with no comeback ever. One client has had 7 converted in his immediate family. I would use new
nissan heater control valve, and used heater assembly. You don't want to do it twice!
We have heater assemblies available for $125.00
+shipping charge.
This has been a permanent fix to cars with reccuring climate control problems that have frustrated many mechanics.
We have found it to be a bolt in procedure.
Thanks, joe
1-800-533-5659
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
You got my vote!!!!

> Randy, and anyone else having climate
> control problems,
> If you don't care about keeping the auto
> climate control system, you can change over
> to the manual
> heat/ac system, without discharging the
> freon.
> We used to do these all of the time after
> the cars would come from Nissan dealers that
> gave up.
> Taking the dash out is no big deal for
> anyone mechanically inclined. The wiring
> plugs in in
> several large harness plugs that can't be
> mixed up.
> Our mechanic used to convert these in 2-3
> hours
> with no comeback ever. One client has had 7
> converted in his immediate family. I would
> use new
> nissan heater control valve, and used heater
> assembly. You don't want to do it twice!
> We have heater assemblies available for
> $125.00
> +shipping charge.
> This has been a permanent fix to cars with
> reccuring climate control problems that have
> frustrated many mechanics.
> We have found it to be a bolt in procedure.
> Thanks, joe
> 1-800-533-5659

I just pulled the manual heater/AC out of the parts car for insertion into my 83. Reading this forum convinced me this was the smart thing to do. Any heater and AC that requires that many components just to keep the sweat off my brow and the icicles off my nose belongs on the shuttle! Anybody want to buy a complete auto temp control system?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Re: You got my vote!!!!

> I just pulled the manual heater/AC out of
> the parts car for insertion into my
> 83. Reading this forum convinced me
> this was the smart thing to do. Any heater
> and AC that requires that many components
> just to keep the sweat off my brow and the
> icicles off my nose belongs on the shuttle!
> Anybody want to buy a complete auto temp
> control system?

Ummmm.... Yeah!! How much do you want for it? Let me know.

Doug Dawson
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
You got my vote!!!!

> Randy, and anyone else having climate
> control problems,
> If you don't care about keeping the auto
> climate control system, you can change over
> to the manual
> heat/ac system, without discharging the
> freon.
> We used to do these all of the time after
> the cars would come from Nissan dealers that
> gave up.
> Taking the dash out is no big deal for
> anyone mechanically inclined. The wiring
> plugs in in
> several large harness plugs that can't be
> mixed up.
> Our mechanic used to convert these in 2-3
> hours
> with no comeback ever. One client has had 7
> converted in his immediate family. I would
> use new
> nissan heater control valve, and used heater
> assembly. You don't want to do it twice!
> We have heater assemblies available for
> $125.00
> +shipping charge.
> This has been a permanent fix to cars with
> reccuring climate control problems that have
> frustrated many mechanics.
> We have found it to be a bolt in procedure.
> Thanks, joe
> 1-800-533-5659

I just pulled the manual heater/AC out of the
parts car for insertion into my 83. Reading this
forum convinced me this was the smart thing to do.
Any heater and AC that requires that many
components just to keep the sweat off my brow and
the icicles off my nose belongs on the shuttle!
Anybody want to buy a complete auto temp control
system?

By the way, I think the digital dash is the next thing to go, anybody need one of those?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Re: You got my vote!!!!

> Ummmm.... Yeah!! How much do you want for
> it? Let me know.

> Doug Dawson
> [email protected]

Not sure if you need everything Doug. I got the whole nine yards, adds up to alot of weight. I know the aspirator fan is gone, so forget that. Can't gaurantee the rest. Let me know what components you want. Price will just be for the trouble of boxing it up and sending it--cheap-cheap

How about a digital dash? Works good, so far!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Re: You got my vote!!!!

> Not sure if you need everything Doug. I got
> the whole nine yards, adds up to alot of
> weight. I know the aspirator fan is gone, so
> forget that. Can't gaurantee the rest. Let
> me know what components you want. Price will
> just be for the trouble of boxing it up and
> sending it--cheap-cheap

Give me a couple of days to work thru the shop manual again to find out exactly what the differences are between that and my stock non-automatic system -- I swear, I meant it when I said that was the weakest part of the manual! ( It's a real pig. ) I'm definitely interested. I love playing with these things.

Doug Dawson
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Motorhead: check yer email re: a/c parts 4 sale..

> I just pulled the manual heater/AC out of .
> the
> parts car for insertion into my 83.
> Reading this
> forum convinced me this was the smart thing
> to do.
> Any heater and AC that requires that many
> components just to keep the sweat off my
> brow and
> the icicles off my nose belongs on the
> shuttle!
> Anybody want to buy a complete auto temp
> control
> system?

> By the way, I think the digital dash is the
> next thing to go, anybody need one of those?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Doug! You got first pick!

> Give me a couple of days to work thru the
> shop manual again to find out exactly what
> the differences are between that and my
> stock non-automatic system -- I swear, I
> meant it when I said that was the weakest
> part of the manual! ( It's a real pig. ) I'm
> definitely interested. I love playing with
> these things.

> Doug Dawson
> [email protected]
I e-mailed Sammy I'd take $30 plus shipping for anything wanted. You responded first, so you got first pick. Take your time, I've studied that part of the manual myself, your right

Not trying to make any money ya'll, just trying to help cover the costs of my restoration.

Enjoy your posts Doug and Sammy.

I think you've explained the theory of gravity in your post about Z brakes Doug. Bodies having mass attract bodies having equal or similar mass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Re: Doug! You got first pick!

> I e-mailed Sammy I'd take $30 plus shipping
> for anything wanted. You responded first, so
> you got first pick. Take your time, I've
> studied that part of the manual myself, your
> right

I looked at it again this evening. It can indeed be viewed as a source of irritation. However, even a complicated beastie like this can be reduced to something very simple, if you look at it one piece at a time. ( You just have to know where to cut, heh heh! )

Which leads to the question: What all did you take out of the car to put the replacement system in? I.e. what do you have available to send? There are also a number of electrical circuits involved in the system, and some wiring harness modifications re. swapping the two systems. How did you handle all of that, if I may ask? You can let me know by e-mail if you like, because this might strain the patience of the casual observer. :^)

Doug
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Second pick is ok w/me!!....ctxt

OK MOTORHEAD MIKE!!

Thanks for email. I had to go out yesterday afternoon, and I just read same this morning.

Thought I had my heater problem isolated, but now not sure. Don't know enuf how syst operates.....need answers to 4 quests about same.....second pick on yer parts ok with me.

later....sammy
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top