Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently, I noticed a wet carpet on the passenger side of the 1978 280z (coupe). The driver side's carpet is dry.

The heater hose was moist and likely is the culprit of the hose. Here's my question:

I am going to replace all hoses that comes into the heater unit as well as the heater hoses that connects to the firewall of the car. Should I also go ahead and replace the thermo control valve while I am replacing the heater hoses?

How difficult is it to remove and install the thermo control valve and heater hoses? The Haynes manual shows that I should remove the glove box and replace it from there.

Any tips that you can recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kelbo
'78 280z, Illuminas, ST springs, Shadow rims, Apexi dunk exhaust

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Yeah, take the whole heater assembly out. It's not hard and is MUCH easier to work on on the bench rather than contorted under the dash. Put a towel on the floor as you'll likely spill more water getting it out.

I plan to do the exact same thing you are doing in the near future now that winter is on the way. The wakeup call in this scenario is that the heater control valve, water **** and heater core alone will set you back about $300, at least if you buy them through MSA or Vic Brit. All the 280Zs had slightly different setups (mine is a '76) so your components and hoses may be a bit different. Maybe best to determine exactly what's leaking and repair just that.

While you have the heater box out, pry off the little snap clips (there are about 6-8 of them, split the cases and clean out all the leaves and crap that has accumulated there over the years. Heater and various ducts will work much better. Also spend a little time redoing the foam rubber on various flapper doors with stick on foam weatherstripping you can find at any hardware store. You'll be flabbergasted how much better the heating system works after this maintenance.

Finally, make sure you pull up the carpet and thoroughly dry your floor on the passenger side. Not only will this prevent the car from stinking, but will help avoid rust on the floor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.