ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, yesterday my heater core started screwing up. I assume it has a small leak... no coolant on the floors (yet!), but a smell of antifreeze in the passenger compartment, and the tell-tale coolant condensation misting up the windshield from the heater vents.

I checked the cooland level in the rad, and so far it still looks full. This is why I think the leak (at present) is still quite small. Also, there is zero coolant smell under the hood. So I'm pretty sure that the heater core, or possibly one of the connnecting hoses (valves?) is leaking.

OK, I know I'm going to have to get this fixed, but is there anything I can do quickly right now to turn "off" the heater core until I get it fixed (or replaced)? This happened a while back on my old 82 RX7, and there was a valve (spigot?) that could easily shut the coolant off from the heater core. So I'm hoping that a similar quick "fix" is possible on my 1990 N/A.

Thanks in advance (and yes, I did a quick search, but could not find an answer).

-MAS

Post Edited (Jan 28, 10:49am)

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
2nd -- that fix works well until it can be repaired. I just went to my local parts store and looked thru their stock of hoses, found some with bends and then used a coupler to put them together.

Fairly easy quick fix -- hardest part can be getting the old hoses off the engine pipe fittings, I just cut those.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would want to know if it were the hoses, or the seal around the shaft that comes out of the valve, or if it were the core itself.

I am no expert, but my guess is that it's probably not all that easy to....simply take a look ?? Or take things apart to the point where you could see what it really is ??

If it were "simply" the core....some stop leak would probably fix it.

Whereas if it were any of the other componants....it might not fix it ??

Bob "From where heaters are important" J.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Stop leak will clog up more **** than it's worth. Bypassing the HC as stated above is the alternative. I just replaced my heater hoses a few weeks ago, and I can tell you that they were a PITFA to get off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.