ZCar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Datsun 280ZX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fuses check good. I suspect mice, last fall I did not take my usual precautions when I winterized my ZX. I’ve had this problem with other vehicles, mice build a nest out of mostly cotton materials in blower motor housing, blower motor runs for a while and then just gets bound up and quits spinning. either way I need to get to blower. Any pro tips appreciated, access thru glove box Or where?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
did it just stop blowing? do you hear it turn on?
I'm willing to bet your blower motor squirrel cage is gone.... these tend to break and shatter after so many years. what you can do is fine a blower motor from and 88 - 92 honda civic and swap out your original motor, especially if its not working anymore. (this might only apply to the 280z, I don't remember for sure if it will fit the ZX) its pretty much a direct fit with a little fumbling with it. its worth a try at least.
you have to remove it from under the dash on the passenger side. you may have to remove your glove box to get to it. its not a hard job and its worth upgrading. I also heard you can get a fan from a new kia vehicle or so I've heard.

Bon

·
Registered
592 Posts
If I remember right on a ZX there is an additional fuse somewhere around the fan housing. But I could be wrong

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,587 Posts
On my '83 ZX there is a fuse on the underside of the blower motor with a white plastic cover. Check it first.

Thanks for the memory prompt, @zbartsky!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fuses check good. I suspect mice, last fall I did not take my usual precautions when I winterized my ZX. I’ve had this problem with other vehicles, mice build a nest out of mostly cotton materials in blower motor housing, blower motor runs for a while and then just gets bound up and quits spinning. either way I need to get to blower. Any pro tips appreciated, access thru glove box Or where?

·
Registered
11 Posts
[/QU

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Pilgrim and zbartsky you guys are correct. There is a fuse on the bottom side of the blower fan and it's covered by a white plastic cover that is shaped like the Pi sign. Pull off the plastic cover and look at the barrel fuse underneath it. If you do have to pull the heater fan it comes out right through the bottom. You just have to pull the panel on the bottom of the dash, and it helps to pull the black venting behind that panel. All very easy, don't have to do anything with the glove box. Here are some tips to keep rodents out of your car. First of all, ALWAYS close the fresh air vent for the heater. Then go to a health food store and pick up a bottle of peppermint oil, sometimes called peppermint oil extract. The rodents are allergic to it including squirrels. Take a cotton ball and put a couple of drops of Peppermint oil on the cotton ball and put it somewhere inside the car. I usually put one in the engine compartment, 1 in the heater somewhere, and on the first gen cars I pull the ashtray out and push a cotton ball up by the shift tower. The PP oil lasts about 2 months and then I pull the cotton ball back out and freshen it up then return it to it's spot. The stuff smells good to us but it definitely keeps the mice and rats away from the car. Z man of Washington

Reactions: Dave Datsun Tech.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts