ZCar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1982 Turbo 280ZX 5 Speed Manual
I have been trying to fix my HVAC blower connection for several years. I have several
books, schematics and troubleshooting guides. I have bought a new fan motor, two used
fan housings with various components (relays, wiring amplifiers etc.). Thinking it was
the switch I purchased the manual climate control mechanism, non-digital. At an earlier
time I had purchased a new amplifier for the digital version. (wasn't sure so I bought it
anyway).
Long story short: The only part I really was able to use was the new fan motor (I think
the old one was fine but the new one looks better) and a blown 20 amp fuse on the
housing.
When I turn on the fan switch the fan does not turn on but a component (I have no idea
what it is) on the passenger side under the hood, beside the air conditioner receiver
dehydrator site glass, vibrates and purrs like a cat. This part has a black rubber
casing on it. (I have attached a short video of the part.
Any help I can get will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
1982 Turbo 280ZX 5 Speed Manual
I have been trying to fix my HVAC blower connection for several years. I have several
books, schematics and troubleshooting guides. I have bought a new fan motor, two used
fan housings with various components (relays, wiring amplifiers etc.). Thinking it was
the switch I purchased the manual climate control mechanism, non-digital. At an earlier
time I had purchased a new amplifier for the digital version. (wasn't sure so I bought it
anyway).
Long story short: The only part I really was able to use was the new fan motor (I think
the old one was fine but the new one looks better) and a blown 20 amp fuse on the
housing.
When I turn on the fan switch the fan does not turn on but a component (I have no idea
what it is) on the passenger side under the hood, beside the air conditioner receiver
dehydrator site glass, vibrates and purrs like a cat. This part has a black rubber
casing on it. (I have attached a short video of the part.
Any help I can get will be appreciated.
are you using the factory service manual for your year Z? they have indepth troubleshooting and information on the A/C system. is yours a manual AC or auto?

Bon

·
Registered
2,346 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
No I have the Haynes, Chilton and I have a 1983 Datsun 280ZX service manual.
brother, when you say 280zx service manual, are you referring the factory service manual? if not, i recommend getting the factory service manual... the HVAC section alone is one of the biggest sections in the whole book. it goes into depth detail on the climate control system for the Z... much more so than the haynes or chilton (though I think its best to have all three if you're doing things yourself) but the FSM goes through all aspects of components, system operation, and troubleshooting procedures. it can help you out a lot if you're trying to fix the A/C on your own. you can get it here for free: www.xenonzcar.com

all the best

Bon

·
Registered
833 Posts
Before doing other stuff, turn on the fan and check the connector which goes to the blower. Do you have 12V there? That white plastic connector can work loose and prevent good contact. I fought a fan problem for years before figuring that out.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Before doing other stuff, turn on the fan and check the connector which goes to the blower. Do you have 12V there? That white plastic connector can work loose and prevent good contact. I fought a fan problem for years before figuring that out.
and make sure the metal connectors in the plug arent corroded - if they are take some sandpaper to them

·
Registered
833 Posts
and make sure the metal connectors in the plug arent corroded - if they are take some sandpaper to them
Good point. I posted in a separate thread that I ended up connecting two cable ties together and circling the blower to press the connector into contact at all times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts