ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, its been getting worse and worse, and now its really BAD. i'm talking about the RATTLING from the exhaust system.

The part that is rattling is the heat shield between the downpipes and the the cat on my n/a. The heatshield has two halves. The bottom half was rattling earlier this year and I removed it and secured the top section with clamps. It was fine for about 6 months. Then it started rattling when hot. Then it started rattling louder. Now my car sounds like an old beater at stop lights. I keep screwing with it and it will stop for a day or two but then come back even worse.

I left the top half on because a good friend of mine who is a relatively knowledgeable mechanic told me its a good idea to leave the shield in between the exhaust and the tranny, as not to overheat the tranny with exhaust heat. This seemed like a reasonable explanation so I've left it on and have had to constantly mess with it since.

I'm fed up. Is there any real risk of overheating the tranny if I remove the heat shield on this part? I realize that its relatively cool outside now, but in the summer when its 115 outside is what I'm really worried about. I plan to get a new exhaust system eventually, but for now its just driving me insane.

·
Registered
353 Posts
take all of the heat shields off , go to discount auto parts , buy heat wrap , it works awesome and it gives you more space in there. its made by dei and with two fifty foot rolls you can wrap the whole system all the way to the catback maybe .

note that i wrapped mine while i had the exhaust manifolds were off the head so it might be harder , also i tought it could possibly use zip ties , had to find out the hard way it wouldnt work , instead of buying stupid metal zip ties that the same company makes , i used hose clamps( the screw in type ) and its been fine for like two months now.

also this would be a good time to check for broken axhaust studs.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just fixed a broken stud today while trying to fix the **** rattle.

This heat wrap stuff sounds pretty interesting. So If I pulled the exhaust system off again and removed the shield and wrapped the pipes, thats basically it right?

Has anybody else heard of or tried this stuff before?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I'd watch out with that heat wrap stuff....I've heard about them soaking up flammible liquid and starting on fire...

·
Registered
20 Posts
errrr.... exhaust wrap won't soak up unless its cheap stuff, the good stuff is glass fibre/alum shavings and works darn well.

·
Registered
572 Posts
phxz31, I wouldn't worry too much about the heat shields. More then anything heat shields IMO where put on to prohibit the chances of having carpet fires inside the car.

I have pulled heat shields off completely from several vehicles including my T/A which is a V8 and generates some serious heat and never even seen burn marks under the car. If it bugs you in the slightest way, get the heat wraps, other then that I wouldn't worry about it. I've used the heat wraps also and never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
353 Posts
if you have an oil cooler not having them there might render it useless, also brake lines , fuel lines and the oil filter are all pretty close to the manifolds , if you have a turbo it will generate alot of heat , my stuff was like 50 bucks or something for 50 foot roll and i have spilled oil on it but i hasnt caught fire at all , just smells bad , i like it anmd recomend it as the shields take up alopt of space.

also if for some reason you put your hand and touch the bare manifold you will have a serious burn , with this stuff i have touched it right after some hard driving and its not super cool but it wont burn your hand off(note that i dindt double wrap it or something) , it is made out of fiberglass type stuff , they also sell a coating so it will last for a long time .

its made by DEI look it up on the internet. website is designengineering.com they also make the cryo2 system .

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not talking about the manifold shields. I'm talking about the part in between the manifolds and the cat. Right under the driver and next to the tranny.

·
Registered
353 Posts
ohhhh those things , yea just take them off theyre useless , ive been running around without them for like six months now with no probs , but also i dont have a cat or a muffler just a straight thru resonator so if you have a cat you might have more heat , also i have a turbo, but i also ran it that way when my car was n/a .

·
Registered
107 Posts
heat shields are the devil... i've had rattling issues with both my z's, and with not but a hacksaw blade and a lot of force i'd had to remove one from each car.... the shield that goes over the rear axle is the worst when you can't do any sort of cutting... took me a full day to rip that one out...

i've also been running my 3" w/o heat shields on my turbo z without any issues since the dead of summer (it's away for the winter now tho) so you'll be juuuust fine :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.