Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fix Your Transmission, Man!

280ZX transmissions that run hot enough to ruin carpet have something badly wrong with 'em, and - despite what lots of folks seem to think - cars don't get better all by themselves.

Wasting your money on heat shielding devices to compensate for a transmission that's burning itself up is like putting a Band-Aid plastic strip on a guy with a temperature of 104. It's a superficial fix that guarantees the underlying condition will get worse by neglect.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
RE: It worked for me!

Heat shielding fixed my transmission heat problem right away. Getting a louder stereo fixed the clacking sound coming from my engine, and wearing nose plugs fixed that exhaust smell in the cabin.

Don't listen to Slim, he hasn't actually tried any of this stuff.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're Absolutely Right, Brian.

Slim's actually a diabolically clever Z-car junk yard owner. He figures that if he tells some folks how to do things the right way, they'll just naturally do almost anything else out of pure cussedness, or to convince themselves how bright they are.

This way, the Slimster's got himself an endless conveyor belt of Z's and ZX's with lunched engines, smashed front ends from "intuitive" brake repairs and nuked electrics being towed through his front gates just about all day long every day.

By the way, judging by some of the homegrown modifications and experiments mentioned on this site, you must be far from the only one tooling around in a car full of fumes.

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
Check again. Doubtful your tranny is causing the damage. Take a look at how the air is ducted from your "hood duct": over the turbo and into the trans tunnel! You could shield the floor, but how long has it taken to ruin the carpet and console? 16 years? You could shield it, but it's a lot of work (dropping tranny for good access...)OR just replace the interior parts that are bugging you and wait another 16 years.
BTW, it's not a Maroon interior is it? Just trashed all the plastic interior parts from my 83 turbo (just before cutting the body up with a Sawzall...)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sawzall is a tradesmark name for milwakee. I am a carpenter by trade and next time you need to cut a car I would like to recomend a Porter Cable tiger saw with a quick release. Much better than Sawzall any day. Everyone should buy a junk datsun just to cut cause it's really fun. (sorry just teasin)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who needs it. just spray it with some chemical rust killer, little pieces left over transport easily. CUTS LIKE BUTTAH !

·
Registered
345 Posts
Pull the seats, console and carpet. Get a roll of radiant barrier (silver mylar) sound insulation (Pep boys - J.C. Whitney) and line the transmission hump. Put the rest back in. This should help and not cost much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.