ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to wedge a third person into my z and whilst she was tossing around back there (I actually have one of those little rear bench kits so it's really tight back there), her heel (almost 4" if I remember correctly) caught and ripped part of my headliner off. What's the best way to (re)secure my headliner to the roof of the car? I would imagine there's some sort of glue (Pep Boys?) out there that would do the job.

Thanks,
James.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
If it is ripped---replace it.. If not any good adhesive used by an upholstery shop will work. Call one of them and ask if they do cars. If not--keep calling.. They will know.. My headliner is going in this coming Saturday after a 3 month wait. Guy had a couple of toes amputated. I said--geesh--you can still glue in a headliner..LOL

·
Registered
66 Posts
If its been up there a long time, the foam starts to disitegrate and its very difficult to re-glue. It's pretty cheap to put up a new one ($60.00 installed) but before I would do that I would invest in some Dynomat, which is a sound deadening material with a sticky back. If you put that in first, then the headliner, it really deadens the sound and when you tap on the roof it doesn't sound like tin. Pep Boys carries it.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
The passenger side of my '81 headliner was loose and kept coming untucked from the moldings. My wife's "Tacky Glue" did the trick of gluing the vinyl to the fiberboard headliner backing. You can get Tacky Glue at most craft and fabric stores.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Headliner falling down</b>

One of the reasons I got my '82 so cheap was that it sat, windows up, in the high desert in California for two years. So ALL the vinyl cooked off. I tried the Pep Boys adhesive spray and it lasted about 5 minutes. I'll try an upholstery shop as suggested, though. It's better than paying several hundred $$$ for replacement panels.

Now, why don't you tell us the real reason her heels were gouging your roof!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Headliner falling down</b>

I would suggest replacing the whole thing. It's pretty easy to take the whole backer board out. Go to any upholstery shop and purchase the color and texture to meet your needs. One hint of advice, don't use the upholstery glue they will try to sell you. mine lasted about 1 day before coming down again. Try contact cement it works best and it sure as **** ain't coming down anytime soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.