ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the pains of the Z cars is that one has to reaim the headlights after replacing them--does anyone sell an affordable do it yourself headlight aiming device(it attaches to the light and has some bubble levels)?

Even upgrading to the replaceable Hella lights doesn't elminate this problem--one still has to take the rear cover off to get to the replaceable bulb--and then one has to still reaim the lights.

Modern cars are great--replacing the lights couldn't be easier--wish they make an upgrade for the early z's--just twist, remove and replace.

Solutions, ideas, and correct me if I am wrong?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
> One of the pains of the Z cars is that one
> has to reaim the headlights after replacing
> them--does anyone sell an affordable do it
> yourself headlight aiming device(it attaches
> to the light and has some bubble levels)?

The headlights on a Z are really easy to aim, it's just a couple of screws that you adjust with a screwdriver, you don't even have to pop the hood. The instructions in the aftermarket manuals ( Haynes etc. ) are adequate to provide a good adjustment, when you point the front of your Z at a wall in a dimly lit garage. I tweaked them the day before my last safety inspection, and they put them thru their aiming test and they passed. Am I missing something here? ( I've never had any complaints about the night illumination provided by my '83. )

Doug Dawson
[email protected]

·
Registered
306 Posts
> One of the pains of the Z cars is that one
> has to reaim the headlights after replacing
> them--does anyone sell an affordable do it
> yourself headlight aiming device(it attaches
> to the light and has some bubble levels)?

> Even upgrading to the replaceable Hella
> lights doesn't elminate this problem--one
> still has to take the rear cover off to get
> to the replaceable bulb--and then one has to
> still reaim the lights.

> Modern cars are great--replacing the lights
> couldn't be easier--wish they make an
> upgrade for the early z's--just twist,
> remove and replace.

> Solutions, ideas, and correct me if I am
> wrong?
Pull up in front of a wall at night. Turn your lights on & start the adjustment process. Then test drive & use both high & low beams. It's a pain , be patient. Done it to my 76. Suggestion - increase the power of your alternator cause the Hellas SUCK a lot of amperage from your system. This affects a lot of other stuff, especially when you get a lot of accessories running at the same time. By the way that adjustment tool is basically useless. You'll agree if you find one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.