ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Headlight switch removal

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  johnh240 
#1 ·
What needs to be done to remove the headlight on/off switch. Is it pretty easy and straight forward? My '71 doesnt have any tail lights, running lights, marker lights or gauge lights and I suspect its that old turn switch on the steering column. By the way, I like that switch a lot more than the headlight switches on the dash that are pulled out that some cars have.

#2 ·
More likely that the fuse and or the fusepanel for the tail/running lights is melted down. That was a particularly weak circuit. You may need to relocate the fuse to an inline fuseholder outside of the fusepanel. Otherwise the switch is pretty straightforward to remove. Just a few screws and some connectors to unhook. Mark any connectors with tape so you don't lose track. Most are keyed to only go to one place but I think there are a couple of bullet connectors that can get swapped. Check the fuse panel first and REPLACE the fuse even if it LOOKS good.

#4 ·
I already have a manual. That comment bores me and could be said to a lot of the questions that are asked in this forum. By the way, thanks John for the suggestion about the melted fuse box. It turns out that is what it was, I recut the wires and hooked up an inline fuse and now the tail lights and running lights work. The gauge lights are still out however. Are the gauge lights on a different fuse than the tail lights?

#5 ·
Nope. Same circuit, they just run through the panel light dimmer control UNDER the dash on drivers side. One knob controls the dash lights other knob controls the reset for the trip meter in the speedo. You could conceivably have a bunch of bulbs burned out or turned black, but not likely EVERY bulb! Most likely another wire broken or burned off. Could be the rheostat control itself but I personally have never seen one go bad. I've seen them replaced but not actually bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.