ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After purchasing a headlight relay switch for my 1972 240Z, couldn't find where it went. Then looked up some old notes in the tech forum saying there isn't a relay for headlights in the 240. (I was having some problems with one headlight dimming but cleaned up some connections and it is much better now). So why does a company offer/sell a part that is not needed? I guess there must be a way to convert it to use relays. So it is worth it to convert it? Or just leave as is? If it is worth it to convert it, how is this done?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Not needed for stock lights

Vicki,

I have had three daily driver early Zs and never used more than 55/65 standard wattage headlamps and had no problems without a relay. However, they would reduce the current through your switches and harness, so if you still want to cut some wires, I am sure someone will be happy to give you the low-down on what color wires and where.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There are a lot of problems associated with the earlier 'Z' wiring harnesses and fuse boxes. Many have overheated and melted because of bad connections/low quality and owners modifying/upgrading their cars components. In some instances there have even been fires.

Starting with the 260Z in 1974 the manufacturer began an upgrade to the wiring harness/fuse box. But it is still a good practice NOT to overload the electrical system by NOT exceeding the original systems load limits. ;-) ;-)

Headlight relays will help prevent damage by rerouting the high current load that headlights carry. A relay will prevent the load from traveling through a majority of the harness, as it does now, as well as the dirty/high-resistance contacts in the switch. As 'dbryan70z' mentioned you are less likely to need the relay with a stock system/components.

RLS30

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.