Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
You all have been so helpful in the past, thought I would run this by you all. My 78 has been sitting dormant for the past 3 years. All the turn signals work and the brake lights too. My problem is when I turn on the headlights. The right one is kind of weak, and the left one barely illuminates in the normal position. When I flip the brights on (and this is wierd!) the left headlight is really bright and the right headlight goes dim - not out - just dim. I really don't want to fork over the $$$ for a new headlight switch and turn signal switch if I can yank them and test / re-solder something myself. Any ideas?? I have heard that it may be a bad ground, but am unsure.

Many thanks in advance

Tim McGovern
78 280 Z

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Tim,
The one thing I've discovered about my '77 lately is that its electrical system is infested with corroded connectors and wiring. I was shocked at the problems that went away and how much better the car started when I spent $10 and replaced the battery cables.
Try two things with you lights.
1) Start the car and flip the headlights from low to high and back about a zillion times. The switch istelf gets some corrosive build-up on it that will come off with use. I cycle my lights a couple times a week even though I do all city driving just so my lights won't go completely dark when I select high beams!! From your description this is probably not your immediate problem but will probably be the next bit of excitement you'll encounter.
2) Pull the connectors off the back of the bulbs and thoroughly clean them with contact cleaner and some kind of mechanical scraper - file, pocket knife, piece of wire, etc. You probably hae some of the nasty green-white stuff on them and they are causing increased resistance (decreased current flow).
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir!

Will hop on that this evening and post again tomorrow!

Tim

> Tim,
> The one thing I've discovered about my '77
> lately is that its electrical system is
> infested with corroded connectors and
> wiring. I was shocked at the problems that
> went away and how much better the car
> started when I spent $10 and replaced the
> battery cables.
> Try two things with you lights.
> 1) Start the car and flip the headlights
> from low to high and back about a zillion
> times. The switch istelf gets some corrosive
> build-up on it that will come off with use.
> I cycle my lights a couple times a week even
> though I do all city driving just so my
> lights won't go completely dark when I
> select high beams!! From your description
> this is probably not your immediate problem
> but will probably be the next bit of
> excitement you'll encounter.
> 2) Pull the connectors off the back of the
> bulbs and thoroughly clean them with contact
> cleaner and some kind of mechanical scraper
> - file, pocket knife, piece of wire, etc.
> You probably hae some of the nasty
> green-white stuff on them and they are
> causing increased resistance (decreased
> current flow).
> Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Thank you sir!

> Will hop on that this evening and post again
> tomorrow!

> Tim

Check the forum earlier this week and there is some info on headlights, but, check all of the connections from your split in the wiring harness in the front of the car. As you will see these do get corroded and if you clean them they will usually work OK. Good Luck.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: Thank you Larry

> Check the forum earlier this week and there
> is some info on headlights, but, check all
> of the connections from your split in the
> wiring harness in the front of the car. As
> you will see these do get corroded and if
> you clean them they will usually work OK.
> Good Luck.

thanks to you and Matt and ConorP i was able to get my right headlight working!!! it was the connector inside the fender well before the bonnet. the male pin connector was corroded. cleaned it and applied some di-electric grease. good to go!! strange because this connector is heavily sealed with what looks like a waterproof cover??!! if moisture can get in there it can get anywhere.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Strange Headlight circuit

I have a 70 240z which I am attempting to restore. My current problem is the headlight cicuit. Bare with me here:
The left light is supplied with power by a RY, the right by a R. In the circuit there is also a RB which is the switch wire and RW which completes the circuit to other vital functions.
Problem is that the red gets power coming through from the other side back to the fuse box so that there are two live sources meeting. This leads to melting and smoking, but the lights work great. With the red disconected the right light still works but it is considerably dimmer and with high beams it is almost gone. The RY does not get the power comming back.
My question is that this: seeing as this circuit was created to have energy flowing around as a circuit how can you have two sources without having the energy meet and cause meltdown?
Anyone that can help is much needed!!!Thanx
Caleb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.