ZCar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember about a year back that there was a topic about converting the headlights to HIDs and the need for a relay. I tried searching for it and went about 10 page deep, but can't seem to find it, or totally missed it. If anyone has a link on the proper way to do the relays for the headlights that would be great.

Also is necessary to do the relay if getting HIDs? As the ballast charges up before firing up the lights do won't it be not add big a draw on power?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
HID's are last year's technology! LED conversions are where it's at, now. They draw far less current than anything else; you won't need to use a relay, the stock wiring will be plenty.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
HID's are last year's technology! LED conversions are where it's at, now. They draw far less current than anything else; you won't need to use a relay, the stock wiring will be plenty.
Relays are still a good idea for two reasons.
1. A lot of headlight switches are dirty from 40+ years of use, dropping the voltage.
2. The Z car headlight circuit has one positive source and two paths to ground, selected by the high/low beam switch. Likely the LED headlights are designed for the positive to be switched with a common ground.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I haven't used an LED system on my z car but I did on my vintage harley that runs the headlights without any relay, all power carried by the switch. Wiring was totally inadequate for a modern high power system but with an LED system all problems went away without any further mods needed. I would run the LED lights first and see if you're happy with them BEFORE you start cutting into the stock harness. LED's draw about 1/6 the current of other types of bulbs; if your wiring is in decent shape and your switch working ok then you certainly aren't going to need anything else.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts

·
ZCAR.COM Vendor
175 Posts
That's not entirely true, and relays should still typically be used to prevent any possibility of flickering. It's never a bad idea to have a relay installed for added protection.

While LED technology has improved significantly over the past few years, HID lighting will still produce more overall lumen output and a better output pattern (reflector housings will have more glare with either option). Unless you are converting to a complete LED assembly, a drop-in LED replacement bulb is going to produce a poor quality output pattern and throw light everywhere. In most cases, installing an LED bulb into your reflector style housing will actually be a significant decrease in usable output due to the nature of the factory optics.

Worse yet, most vendors selling these common overseas LED low-beams make claims like 6,000 lumens, 10,000 lumens etc etc...completely false and unfair to the consumer. When purchasing LED lighting, make sure you are getting a measurement, not a "calculated" or "estimated" amount.

Nick C.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I'm not an engineer or a vendor...I'm just a guy who had excellent results with an LED system on a totally outdated wiring system, without using any relay whatsoever. No flickering, far better visibility than the stock sealed beam, and equal visibility (as far as I could tell) to a 100 watt aftermarket (not street legal, technically speaking)halogen bulb, which worked fine except the stock headlight switch would fail from the excessive load.

·
ZCAR.COM Vendor
175 Posts
I'm not an engineer or a vendor...I'm just a guy who had excellent results with an LED system on a totally outdated wiring system, without using any relay whatsoever. No flickering, far better visibility than the stock sealed beam, and equal visibility (as far as I could tell) to a 100 watt aftermarket (not street legal, technically speaking)halogen bulb, which worked fine except the stock headlight switch would fail from the excessive load.
Have you posted any output shots yet?

Here's an example with our full LED assembly installed:

They have a solid hotspot, which means light is thrown farther down the road, and a nice cutoff pattern so you aren't blinding other drivers on the road. LED bulb replacements have a wide output pattern, but they lack a proper hotspot, which means you won't be able to see far.

Nick C.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
For most of the S30 and S130 owners, they will probably be using 7 inch LED headlights like what is found for Jeep owners instead just replacing an H4 bulb in a housing with a reflector. That is what I did on my 260Z.

·
ZCAR.COM Vendor
175 Posts
For most of the S30 and S130 owners, they will probably be using 7 inch LED headlights like what is found for Jeep owners instead just replacing an H4 bulb in a housing with a reflector. That is what I did on my 260Z.
I hope so, ours look awesome and perform extremely well (see above)

Nick C.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can you post a link of where you found your lights? How are you liking them? Also, are you certain 30's & 130's are wired the same? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Can you post a link of where you found your lights? How are you liking them? Also, are you certain 30's & 130's are wired the same? Thanks.
I reviewed the 1979 and 1980 wiring diagrams, and I see that the S130 was wired differently. It has two positives and 1 negative.
I don't remember where I got the headlights I'm using now on my 260Z. It's been a few years.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recently decided to update ALL the headlights on my vehicles to LED's. On my '83, the previous owner had changed the 6024's out to after-market (cheap, I'm sure) lenses and h4/9003's... so I purchased these: CREE H4 HB2 9003 55W 8000LM LED Headlight Kit Hi/Lo Power Bulb 6000K Super White | eBay in hope it would be a 'plug & play' and while they were plenty bright, the high beam simply didn't "throw" down the road like I expected. Next, I purchased these: Auxbeam LED Headlight Bulbs NF-S1 Series Headlights with 2 Pcs of H4 9003 HB2 1 | eBay (from Amazon, not ebay) and 1 of those was defective, so I returned them for a refund since Amazon wouldn't send a replacement and decided to order these 'all-in-one' lights: Pair 7inch Round LED Headlights Chrome Hi/Lo Beam For JEEP Wrangler Hummer H1 H2 | eBay. As soon as I get them installed, I will give a report/opinion (hopefully, with pics) on what I hope to be my final attempt at upgrading the "Z". .

·
Registered
29 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts