ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i got some money after i got off my lazy ass and worked for a couple of days. I am looking for a bit of a boost in hp im thinking headers and a pulley might do it or an exhaust or a combination of the choices. Anyway limit is about 350$ so please dont say anything that will make me want to spend more than i have. Also could new pistons, with a higher ratio and a new cam and rods help??

85 Na Air intake and Stanza Throttle body.

ANYONE NEAR MEMPHIS WANNA START A CAR CLUB TONS OF Zs in this area just need some support

·
Registered
255 Posts
Personally I would start with a cat-back exhaust system, high flow cat, headers. Then work your way up.

Also, what is your goal for the car?

Post Edited (Jun 27, 8:48pm)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as much HP as possible without adding a turbo which i might do anyway.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Okay..well if you want more power for your NA. I would suggest you add

-Cat Back exhaust

-high flow cat

-headers

-ported head

-ported intake manifold or pathy intake mod

-nitrous

-under drive pulley

-larger throttle body

-camshafts

and some other stuff..but that mostly the power adders right there..

Post Edited (Jun 27, 8:54pm)

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
There is no lighter pulley for the 85 non turbo. They are only available for the 84-86 turbo, 87-89 non turbo, and 87-89 turbo. What you can do is convert to a 87-89 serpentine belt set up and then you can use the lighter pulley but it's kind of a lot of hassle for not much gain in power. Honestly if you think you are going to go turbo later on don't waste your money on your non turbo. Only the intake and throttle body will be usable in a turbo swap situation which means you will be taking a loss on all the other parts. As for you saying you want the most power without a turbo well in non turbo form with about all the things the other guy listed you are looking at about ~170-180hp to the rear wheels. Not really a whole bunch considering the weight of the 300zx. Honestly you'll never see past 14's unless you use nos or a turbo or some kind of race motor. My advice is to really think if a non turbo set up is the way you want to go or not before spending your money. Assuming you still want to understand that 350 isn't a whole lot. Headers alone cost 350+ once you include the coating, tax, and shipping. Then if you have to pay for install you are looking at another 300+. I would start off with an exhuast system and high flow cat. You can probably get a custom exhuast set up from your local muffler shop for about 200 and maybe another 50-80 for the high flow cat. After that all mods will end up costing a lot more money unless you are going to be doing the install yourself. Like I mentioned headers with install costs 600+, the JWT ecu costs ~600, the cam kit is something like 300-400 plus probably about 600 for install, port and polish work can cost upwards of 1000+, custom intake manifold is about 500, lighter flywheel is 400+, upgraded clutch to go with flywheel is about another 250 plus install. Once you start adding up all the costs, even if just parts alone, you quickly see that you could buy a complete running good condition turbo 300zx for cheaper. For the price of intake, exhuast, high flow cat, headers, and JWT ecu you can get your Z into the 15's or for the same price you can get a stock 300zx turbo that already runs 15's. What I like to tell people is that modding a non turbo 300zx can be fun and worth it but not if being fast is what you are after. Mod a 300zx non turbo becuase you enjoy the car no matter how fast it is and don't mind if you aren't the fastest thing out there. On the other hand if you do want something that is going to compete with todays go fast cars and something that will leave most others cars in the dust get yourself a turbo. The 300zx non turbo is a crusing car while the turbo 300zx is a speed car. Good luck

·
Registered
493 Posts
Author: 88hybrid
Date: Jun 28, 12:53pm
Wrote:

"You wont get any gains noticable for 350 dollas on an n/a. keep youre money"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I say, Ditto.....

This n/a with the works (cams, headers, etc) only could muster.....

a little more than 160hp to the wheels (nice torque though)....

350 bux is pretty close to what a salvage turbo car will sell for. Then you can really spend some quality time with your Z, plus, you'll love what a turbo will do for it. Absolutely the cheapest bang for the bux.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.