ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use header insulating wrap on stock exhaust manifold and down pipes to cut down on the heat in the engine compartment ?

Second, Ive read two schools of thought regarding header wrap.

1) Great - cuts down on heat in engine compartment and allows for faster exhaust flow thus giving horsepower gain

2) Bad - since your insulating the headers and pipes the temperature inside the headers and pipes is too high causing warping and metal deteriation?

Any thoughts?

· Registered
1,340 Posts
I've heard both ideas. We had an exhaust guy at one of our club meetings and he very strongly suggested to stay away from the wraps. They'll cook your headers/exhaust manifold. Make a heat sheild intead or have your headers Jet Hot coated.

Just my opinion.

· Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi fjm280z------------------One other problem associated with wrapping manifolds and especially headers is rust. The wrap does an excellent job of retaining moisture, and will cut the life span of exhaust components drastically. FWIW

Roadman
Gulfport, MS

· Registered
1,779 Posts
As you can see from the above there is some "controversy" regarding those wraps
...I suspect they are useful for RACING applications and the rest of us think "if it works on a NASCAR racer it must be good for me, too"...WRONG...or is your car an all-out race-only car???...IMHO the best "wraps" are tortillas filled with beef,
red chile, onions, and lots of hot sauce!!!! :eek:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.