ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one used that header heat deflact i'm not sure what its really called.they sell it in summit and i was think about buying some but want to get your opions on it .i was told that with it on a set of mustang headers you could touch them and they only flet warm.is this true.thanks ahead of time

· Registered
1,244 Posts
Well worth it too!!!

I was VERY pleased with Jet-Coat.
It will make them last a life time, plus guaranteed :)

· Registered
18 Posts
John is 110% correct. I purchased a set of headers and made the mistake of wrapping them. Within 6 months I began to hear small leaks in the exhaust. Just out of curiosity, I starting poking around with a screw driver and immediately felt the screwdriver poke through the header wrap and header itself. By far, this was the biggest waste of time and money I have spent on my Z. Do not do it! Take the advise of others, spend a little more money and have them professionally coated. They'll look better, and you will not regret it!

· Registered
1,779 Posts
Just another thought here: is it important that you can touch the header wrap without burning your hands???...how often do you do this???...do your friends insist on touching the headers on your car???...my understanding for wrapping headers is to retain the heat inside the headers (more efficient???) not to make it easier to touch them...and the above comments are RIGHT ON!!!...forget the hype.
For an all-out race car (or Ricer Wannabee) then they are fine...but... :eek:)

· Registered
604 Posts
Yup I've told people before that wrap rusts them out-FOR RACE ONLY. I have a set sitting on the garage floor that I spent hours wrapping to perfection, but I won't have them on my car now-you could see the rust soaking into the material when you washed the engine compartment.

I used the wrap not for efficiency but to decrease under hood heat perhaps for the carbs.

I am thinking of using a blanket type insulators. Anyone experienced with that?

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Zbartsky...

Spend the money and have them coated. Will lower the undhood temps. Check my above post for the addresses of coating shops. M&R will coat a inline 6 header, inside and out for $140.00.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.