ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my exhaust system when I do my engine and want to use headers. Is there a particular type you guys have had luck with? I dont want it loud. What about a good muffler? Im not going wild with my rebuild, possibly 15 to 20 extra horses. What size exhaust should I run.

As always
Thank you in advance

Craig76Z

·
Registered
482 Posts
> I am replacing my exhaust system when I do
> my engine and want to use headers. Is there
> a particular type you guys have had luck
> with? I dont want it loud. What about a good
> muffler? Im not going wild with my rebuild,
> possibly 15 to 20 extra horses. What size
> exhaust should I run.

There has been alot of discussion here about this. It seems that if you don't have extensive enough modificatioins, a header doesn't really do much, except add noise. That being said, the best header to get is the Nissan Motorsports. Excellent design and quality. The only problem, is that there is no smog fittings of any kind and they cost $300. So, if you need to smog your car, you best not get this one. The Motorsports Auto 6-1 design is better than their 3-2 design IMHO. These are alot cheaper @$180

If you are concerned about sound and daily drivability, I would recommend a 2.25 exhaust with Dynomax muffler. This setup produces a nice throaty tone, and nice increase in overall power. It does not drain low rpm torque, and fits quite nicely under the car. I ran this on my 2.4L and it worked great. Should provide similar results for a mild 2.8L.
However, if you plan on doing any modifications in the future, the 2.25 will quickly become a restriction. A 2.5 or even 3 will be needed if you plan on installing a long duration cam (270+degrees).

·
Registered
197 Posts
> I am replacing my exhaust system when I do
> my engine and want to use headers. Is there
> a particular type you guys have had luck
> with? I dont want it loud. What about a good
> muffler? Im not going wild with my rebuild,
> possibly 15 to 20 extra horses. What size
> exhaust should I run.

> As always
> Thank you in advance

> Craig76Z
Hey dude, we went with the motorsport 3 into 2 design wich I wrapped with the header wrap, used 2 1/2 pipe and a dynomax turbo style muffler. I havn't had to reseal the gasket in more than a years worth of driving, the flange on that little header is so thick! The guage tubing they used is very thick also. It is great quality stuff. It runs pretty good. We used an e31 head and a mild cam and only suffered minor loss of low end torque ( I thunk it was the cam) but it pullshard to 7000 rpm and is not noisy. The only thing is the muffler seems to be getting louder already. I guess the packing is already burning out?! All in all you should go with the 3 into 2 if your going to be driving daily as will give better torque in the normal driving ranges of your motor but as I said, were spinning ours to 7000 so it doesn't seem to have any problems flowing once we wind the motor up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.