ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean for a Z....

I've got a recently rebuilt 73 e-88 head with a 240 block I'm considering rebuilding. Just bought a 300 duration/ 493 lift cam off e-bay. What else do I need to install this cam? Followers, valves, guides?

I've ordered "How To Rebuild, and How to Modify Your Nissan/Datsun OHC. Will this answer my questions? I know some of you have lots of experience in this area from a "hands on" level. I'd sure appreciate some input.

My goal is mid 5 sec 0-60 times out of my Z. Is this do-able at a reasonable cost ($1-2K) with street drivable 240 block, or do I need to go to a small block chevy.

· Registered
11,803 Posts
If your going to rebuild, then the best bet would be to find yourself a 280ZX block. Go ahead and use that with your E88 head. This will give you greater a displacement and a higher compression engine. Your looking for a NA F54 block from a 1980 to 1983 280ZX. It should have a P79 head attached.

For the cam, you'll need new rockers, springs, keepers and lash pads. The lash pads are going to be the tricky part. I'd suggest getting one of several thicknesses starting with 150's and going to 180. The stocks are 120's. Find the one that gives you the correct wipe pattern. Check several intake and exaust valves using the correct one to verify that this is good for all your valves. Buy the rest once you've determined the correct size.

That's a pretty high duration cam. You'll need to work on intake and exhaust improvements also to take advantage of this cam. I'm assuming your putting this into a 240. If your using your SU's, they should be the old round top SU's. Contact Norm the 12 Sec SU Dude or ZTheropy to see what they say about what mods are needed. I use 44mm Mikuni's on mine with almost the same setup. Runs great.

Good luck

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll be using round top SU's and help/parts from ZTherapy. I've also read a number of Norm's posts. Always interesting.

I realize some head work will be required along with headers. I'm wondering whether the valves in this '73 E-88 are large enough.

Thanks again

· Registered
11,803 Posts
I used an E31head with 280 valves from a n47 head for the same engine combo. The results were great. I'd recomend, if it's in your budget, to go ahead with the larger 280 valves. You'll need new seats for the intakes anyways, so the expense should not be too much additional.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am I right in assuming there would be machine work involved to accomidate the larger valves? Any clue as to ballpark costs to make the necessary mods to the heads?

· Registered
11,803 Posts
Yes, you will need to have larger seats installed. If you're running an E88 then you'll have to replace the intake seats anyways. The old seats are brass and will not work well with no lead fuel. The additional cost of putting in 280 seats is 0 to $2.00, depending on the shop, above the cost of putting in a new steal seat of the original size. The added expense is really in the exhaust seats and getting the intake and exhaust valves from an early 280z not zx. Expect about $10.00 per seat to have them installed plus about $4.00 each per seat materials. That's about $168.00 above just doing a valve job with no seat replacement. Really depends on the shop and where you are. I always figure around $500.00 to do an older head up right not including the cam, springs, lashpads and rockers.

Here's a starter list:
1: Clean Head
2: Replace valve guides
3: Replace valve seats if brass on intake (both intake and exhaust if older then N42 with 280 valves)
4: 3-angle valve job
5: Mill head flat (Only minimum required for good gasket seal)

You can get some valves from a N42 or N47(280Z only) engine. Don't use the valves from a P79 or P90 in the early heads because they're longer.

Good Luck

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Great (and complete) info. So before I'm all done I'll have $750-$1000 in the head, $200-$400 in basic block rebuild for around $1000-$1500 for an approx 200 ish hp engine...........

Reasonable, but about half way to a cheap JTR Chevy SB conversion. More decisions!

Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.