ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Z is in the shop, and 3 weeks from now, should have a new heart. It's heart will be a brand new Rebello built 3.1L running 10.0:1 with Nismo headers, 2.5 exhaust and my triples. This engine has been dynoed @240hp and 260ft/lbs in a similar setup. I can hardly wait.

As for what happened to my 2.8L, here's the scoop. I threw #2 cylinder's rod right through the crankcase! It looks as if a rod bolt snapped, and now there's a rod sticking out of a grapefruit sized hole on the left side of my block. The lower bearing cap used to be a 'u' shape, and is now totally FLAT!! Needless to say, the entire bottom end is totally toast. Don't know what the crankshaft looks like yet, but I doubt it's very pretty. The transmission looks ok, although at the time, with all the vibration, I was convinced it was scrap. I'm able to salvage quite a few parts though. The E88 head, H20 pump, Turbo oil pump and radiator are all in decent shape. This stuff might be for sale in the near future, and I'll make some jpegs for those that are interested. Most of this stuff is about 1 year old.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
> My Z is in the shop, and 3 weeks from now,
> should have a new heart. It's heart will be
> a brand new Rebello built 3.1L running
> 10.0:1 with Nismo headers, 2.5 exhaust
> and my triples. This engine has been dynoed
> @240hp and 260ft/lbs in a similar setup. I
> can hardly wait.

> As for what happened to my 2.8L, here's the
> scoop. I threw #2 cylinder's rod right
> through the crankcase! It looks as if a rod
> bolt snapped, and now there's a rod sticking
> out of a grapefruit sized hole on the left
> side of my block. The lower bearing cap used
> to be a 'u' shape, and is now totally FLAT!!
> Needless to say, the entire bottom end is
> totally toast. Don't know what the
> crankshaft looks like yet, but I doubt it's
> very pretty. The transmission looks ok,
> although at the time, with all the
> vibration, I was convinced it was scrap. I'm
> able to salvage quite a few parts though.
> The E88 head, H20 pump, Turbo oil pump and
> radiator are all in decent shape. This stuff
> might be for sale in the near future, and
> I'll make some jpegs for those that are
> interested. Most of this stuff is about 1
> year old.

How much is the motor costing you? Just curious.....

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> How much is the motor costing you? Just
> curious.....

$3000 for the engine. I rebuilt my (broken) 2.8L for a little over $1500. That was using all new bolts and bearings, rebuilt head, etc... If I'd had it bored out, @70/bore I would have been closer to $2000, and installed brand new pistons @75/piston, I would have been close to $3000. So, I feel the $3000 is worth it. Keep in mind, this price includes a LD28 crank, L24 rods, new 89mm pistons, rebuilding the head with street porting, cam grinding, metal head gasket, full balancing, new bearings, ARP bolts, new chain and front cover. The price gets pretty reasonable if you add it all up. Besides, Dave Rebello really knows what he's doing.

I've never heard a bad thing about a REBELLO built engine, so I feel comftorable spending the money. I wish I could do more work myself, but since I've moved into an apartment, my space is limited.

I would have liked to not spend $3000 for a new engine, but after this, I shouldn't have to worry about a catastrophic engine failure until the earth's gasoline reserves run out.

·
Registered
486 Posts
240Dave,
Just because you live in an apartment, why can't you do the work? Just curious? I have a very understanding girlfriend, so I get away with: an engine on an engine stand, a cherry picker, axles and calipers and tons of other parts in the cabinets(kitchen that is) along with the cereal and stuff. Also have boxes full of parts, two closets, the water heater room has the two rear fenders from another car along with 4 rack and pinions, etc...You get the idea. I just rebuilt my engine in the living room. Oh, I also have an extra rear end and 5-speed in the living room. Like I said, she is VERY understanding. Just giving you a hard time, take no offense. Sounds like you are getting a killer engine!
Good Luck,
Joshua L.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ok if u dont live in a house or some thing. where there not landlord close. U can work on a car but apartments. One they dont let u work on car on the parking lot. I can see why it could be a pain in the A$$

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
A few months back there was a few posts on the REBELLO motors and they said that it was not a very streetable motor. If this info was incorrect I would be interested in more info on this so I can maybe set up something with your mechanic. I live in Idaho but could talk my wife into a vaction in califoria this summer. Pleses e-mail me with info like what they need to get started.
Thanks
Rob,

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They come in different stages....

> A few months back there was a few posts on
> the REBELLO motors and they said that it was
> not a very streetable motor. If this info
> was incorrect I would be interested in more
> info on this so I can maybe set up something
> with your mechanic. I live in Idaho but
> could talk my wife into a vaction in
> califoria this summer. Pleses e-mail me with
> info like what they need to get started.
> Thanks
> Rob,

It all depends. If you're running triples with a hot cam and 3 exhaust, well then of course it's going to be somewhat testy. These 3.1L put out alot of torque though, so alot of the unstreetable habits of a high output 2.4L just aren't present in the 3.1L.

In order to get an engine built, you need to know what it is you want. Don't just say I want a 3.1L engine. Rebello will grind your cam and raise or lower the c.r. depending on what you're looking for. That is why he sells the engines in stages. Most of his engines start @$3000 though, so you might want to take that into consideration. His reputation in the Bay Area is very good. If you mention Rebello at any ITS or SCCA race, people definetely take a second look.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Living in Apartment Woes...

> Ok if u dont live in a house or some thing.
> where there not landlord close. U can work
> on a car but apartments. One they dont let u
> work on car on the parking lot. I can see
> why it could be a pain in the A$$

It's not that I can't do minor work on my car, I just can't do this major work there. As far as general maintenance and minor modifications, there 's no problem. But removing an engine is a little much. All I have is my own parking space in a communal underground garage.

I do have a walk in closet, and one side of it has a old desk, which I use to do the head porting/polishing and other things. I just don't have the space to work on a transmission or engine. Some people sure look at me funny though, when I'm hauling car parts up the elevator to my place. Guess you can call me a 'Certified Car Nut', since I have car parts in my apartment, although I don't have quite as many as Joshua L. :)

Dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
Re: They come in different stages....

> It all depends. If you're running triples
> with a hot cam and 3 exhaust, well
> then of course it's going to be somewhat
> testy. These 3.1L put out alot of torque
> though, so alot of the unstreetable habits
> of a high output 2.4L just aren't present in
> the 3.1L.

> In order to get an engine built, you need to
> know what it is you want. Don't just say I
> want a 3.1L engine. Rebello will grind your
> cam and raise or lower the c.r. depending on
> what you're looking for. That is why he
> sells the engines in stages. Most of his
> engines start @$3000 though, so you might
> want to take that into consideration. His
> reputation in the Bay Area is very good. If
> you mention Rebello at any ITS or SCCA race,
> people definetely take a second look.

does anyone have there number and address?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://www.rebello.qpg.com/

> does anyone have there number and address?

Located in Pacheco, CA.
<A HREF=http://www.rebello.qpg.com>http://www.rebello.qpg.com</A>/

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Thanks for the info, A few more ???

Thanks for all the info. I will mention your name when I contact them.
Is that $3000.00 for installed or load and leave?
Also do they require a core?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A few more Answers

> Thanks for all the info. I will mention your
> name when I contact them.
> Is that $3000.00 for installed or load and
> leave?
> Also do they require a core?

$3000+ for just the engine. I don't think he does many installations, since he's mainly an engine builder. I don't know the guy personally, I don't think he even knows my name, I've just talked to him on the phone a few times. The shop installing the engine is who I'm dealing with. The shop arranged all the engine stuff with Rebello for me. Dave Rebello is quite knowledgeable though, and not overly rude. It would help if you know something about engines if you talk to him though, otherwise it can be frustrating trying to explain everything to a novice.

They do require core's (since none of this stuff is still made), but I'm not sure about how that affects cost. I supplied my own early E88 head, cam, L24 rods. I would imagine the head core is @$100 and the same for the rods. I don't know what would happen if you gave him an LD28 crankshaft.

Dave

e-mail me if you have any more questions

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.