ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all.... Regulars on here as well as new comer's....

Fact... IN the San Francisco Bay Area... there is a guy advertising a white 71 240Z. Has a Rebello engine in it.. doesn't say what size. Has all the goodies listed, including a Motorsport airo kit, roll bar, Alpine stereo, Autometer gauges. Enki rims, the whole 9 yards. Everything is name brand and is the thing to buy.... He wants... or is asking.... you ready.... $19.5k... the car is clean and is the finished product from what I can tell.

Is anyone out there getting this kind of money for their cars? Really, are ya? That seems out of line to me... but have I missed something since the turn of the year? Have prices sky rocketed without me noticing? Or is this guy on drugs or something.... I could see $15k.... but 20... I don't know.... I think to invest $10k and have my car done in 2-3 months might be pushing it....

The reason I'm asking is that I have embacked on this same type of trail... I'm thinking of cutting my fenders and going with flares... Panasport wheels, sticky tire, nice paint job... butt hug'n seats, roll bar, Rebello engine is in process, the whole 9 yards..... and just don't know if I'm doing the right thing to a 73 240Z with very little rust on it.I also have good paper work for the car, including Window sticker thats in one piece, the boat papers, even the deal sheet. Inside, I've located Datsun information packet which included the papers that came in the jack compartment, the little user manual, also have the 73 factory manual.

What do you think.... Should I cut-up the fenders or save it.. I would enjoy hearing what your comments are... so let'm fly.... I want to know what you think.

BTW... I do plan on keeping the car for a very long time. It's to much fun to drive....

Thanks,
Dennis

P.S. if anybody wanted the advertised car.... e-mail me and I'll give ya the phone number.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Do Not, cut up the car you have!IN Santa Rosa paper(a little north of you)there are always Zs for sale that have already been f#^!*ed w/.Cut up something that can't be "PROPERLY" restored!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would NOT put flares/body kit on it either. If it is still mostly original, and you seem to care about this b/c you included all that info on paperwork, etc. I would keep it and do a "sem-restoration" (except for the 73 carbs of course.) Try 15x7 Panasports, they look nice/"correct".

If you do highly modify your 240Z, you will never get the return on investment as you would for a "semi-restoration," this is especially true for a 240. As a general rule, many people only get 50% of their investment on highly modified cars. So, unless that guy out there in San Deigo has $35-40K in his car-VERY doubtful, he is asking too much.. You could buy a nice 911 SC for $19-20k. Bottom line, do what makes you happy, but don't expect a big return if you end up selling the car.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
NOOOOO!!!..
If you want to do that much
work on a Z, then go buy another one to work on and
leave your prime original
Z the way it is...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
DON't DO IT!!! I cut up a 78 from a junkyard, but your's is sounding too cherry for anything drastic. Soon enough there won't be any originals left and then the world will have to end.

Steve G

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.