ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You gotta check out the BSP Zs at the SCCA events. These boys can PARTY! Kick butt on majorly built outrageous Vettes!

Any BSP Zs gonna show at Sac o Tomatoes SCCA event this weekend? See ya there!

Check out John Coffey describing how to handle an understeering Z:
>Well... with the front significantly stiffer than the rear you're going to have an understeer problem. But, with the power that you have and a working LSD (when was it last rebuilt? what's the preload?) you should be able to drive the car with the throttle in low and meduim speed corners.

>Brake into the corners (drive for a late apex) and left foot trail brake during the first 1/4 to 1/3 of the corner. You want the rear end to start coming around. When it does, transition to the throttle and use it to control where the car is pointing. (FYI... I'm not taking Dukes of Hazard here, you want to use the throttle to induce drift, not slide) If you don't use enough throttle you'll understeer hard through the corner apex and have to wait before getting your foot down on corner exit - if you don't drive off into the dirt.

>In high speed track corners the car will revert back to a basic understeer so don't try to overdrive the front tires. Again, late apex and squeeze on the throttle while unwinding the steering wheel. You can use trial braking to help the car rotate. Anytime you find you've got massive unsersteer, unwind the steering wheel a bit. Seems counter-intuitive but what you're doing is decreasing the load on the front tires so they can grip better.

Now, if I coult think that clearly behind the wheel, I could probably decrease my time by 20%! Seat time! Seat time!

Later all!
:-D Al

· Registered
29 Posts
Al,

From what i understand, the late-model corvettes are being moved into ASP next year. If this happens, BSP will be wide open for z's and zx's. They all do well in this class, should be a great year for winning some trophies.

Casper

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Vette's leaving is fine w/me, but they moved the M3 into BSP!!! Not going to your event but WOR-SCCA is going to try for a 2 day event this Sat/Sun in Dayton, OH to make up for a rain out. Predicted temps in the 40's!! Ok, now to chase the new Hoosier tires for temps and pressures! "Calling Dr. Coffey, calling Dr. Coffey.....please report to the VA Hospital parking lot in Dayton to assist 'Rusted Nuts Racing'.........thank you". ;--)

· Registered
3,122 Posts
And you still have the C4 Corvettes and the late model Supra to contend with. The C5 Corvettes were never a threat in BSP.

I wouldn't use that Dayton event as a measure for what pressures to run! WIth 40 degree temps don't expect the Hoosiers to heat up at all. I would run lower than normal tire pressures to see if that generates some heat. If you get some fun runs at the end of the day I would experiment with street tires to see if they can get some heat into them and stick better than the cold Hoosiers.

Watch out for ice... ;-)

- John

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Probably won't be able to use the event to figure ANYTHING! Likely going to be just a scuffing in session for the tires for next season lol. At least we shouldn't have to worry much about overheating ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.