Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
couple questions...

1) when going over bumby roads the hatch would vibrate quite loud is there a remedy for this?

2) my antenna is stuck in the up position, is there a way to remove it without breaking it off? dont know if its the antenna or motor that is dead

3) where's the leak coming from? for the area underneath the tools...i have check the antenna and the panel across it and nothing seems to be wet...raining season is coming so i want to be prepare

4) there's this scratching / rubbing / griding noise coming from the rear...when i let off the accelerator or go up or down a incline i can here the sound...any clues??

i recently replace the front brake pads and got rid of the squeeling noise...the rear looked ok and all apears normal...the problem was already there even before i change the pads

my brother says it could be the shocks or struts but i want some opinion from other Z's drivers..

1987zx na
220k miles

·
Registered
586 Posts
[ 3) where's the leak coming from? for the area underneath the tools...i have check the antenna and the panel across it and nothing seems to be wet...raining season is coming so i want to be prepare ]

Check around the tail lights and around the drivers side rear windows. My 85 had the same problem and both the rear windows and rear tail lights needed to be resealed.

The following site has directions on how to remove and re-seal the tail lights and rear windows.

http://www.zeeyalater.net/comprobs.htm#topoflist

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
1987zx wrote:
> 1) when going over bumby roads the hatch would vibrate quite
> loud is there a remedy for this?

Remove the back panel and move the latch mechanism down SLIGHTLY. This should tighten up the trunk.

> 2) my antenna is stuck in the up position, is there a way to
> remove it without breaking it off? dont know if its the antenna
> or motor that is dead

More than likely it is the antenna mast. Have someone turn the radio off while you push the antenna down. This should be relatively easy to do. And you can also listen for the motor while you're at it.

> 3) where's the leak coming from? for the area underneath the
> tools...i have check the antenna and the panel across it and
> nothing seems to be wet...raining season is coming so i want to
> be prepare

Rear triangle windows or tail lights. Remove them and reseal.

> 4) there's this scratching / rubbing / griding noise coming
> from the rear...when i let off the accelerator or go up or down
> a incline i can here the sound...any clues??
>
> i recently replace the front brake pads and got rid of the
> squeeling noise...the rear looked ok and all apears
> normal...the problem was already there even before i change the
> pads
>
> my brother says it could be the shocks or struts but i want
> some opinion from other Z's drivers..

Could be driveshaft u-joints or halfshafts. My NA has a slight noise similar to this and it's the halfshaft.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is it cold where you live now? I live up near Chicago and ever since it got cold my hatch vibrates and other stuff all around the car rattles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replys. i will check up on those suggestions.

1987zx na

RyGuY

i live in california and winter season is coming but no where near freezing...and plus i dont think the cold could be a factor in the rattles

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi,
I had the same problem with noisy rear hatch on 86 z and stopped the noise by placing paper matchbook covers in the black plastic stoppers on each side of the tailgate, where the top plastic part comes down on them when closing, creating more pressure on these rests. The matchbook covers work fine, but any square piece of cardboard should work also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.