Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My opinion

The turbo engine requires the Turbo ECU and harness. You may get the engine to run, but your mixtures will be all off and you will get dismal performance.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the way I'm going try it

My plan is to swap an '82-83 P90A turbo motor into my '78 coupe.

Right now the motor is in the donor car which is an '81 na 2+2. The engine was running on the '81na eccs, although from the exhaust odor it was running pretty rich. I'm not sure if it was ever tuned, but it ran ok. It would pull extremelly strong in 2nd gear.

I plan on using the '78 ecu and distributor. It is a much simpler system. I'm not sure of the fuel curve mapping, but I think it should be pretty close. I'm going to swap the '78 AFM card into the turbo AFM. Since the turbo AFM is flowing more air (~ 20%more) and the turbo injectors are sized to flow ~ 20% more, the ecu fuel map should be pretty close. It may not be the hottest setup. I really don't think it would be wise to go crazy on the boost though. Anyway my car will be used as more of a recreational driver.

Now, what to do with that extra cold start fuel injector. Maybe an adjustable pressure (boost) switch in series with a throtle limit switch to energize the injector during full throtle max boost situations during my recreational driving. Hmm? Wonder if JB weld will hold that cold start injector boss on the tubo intake manifold?

Oh well, I must get back to work. Anyone know the flow rate of the stock cold start valve?

Rod

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>RE: Has anybody done this?YES</b>

I have been working on turbocharging Z's for over five years. I have been through eight engines. Even though a harness, distributer, and computer would be an effective upgrade it is not necessary. Use first generation 300zx turbo injectors in combiation with a fuel pressure regulater and upgraded fuel pump. That combo will more than make up for the smaller duty cycles of the early z's.GET AN INTERCOOLER!!!!! There are many other steps towads giving your z godlike power. Feel free to e-mail me for any other tips.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK Jeff I'm listening

What's you e-mail address???
Do you have AOL instant Messenger??
I want an intercooler but I'm not rich. I have the motor on the hoist almost ready to go in, but the turbo is shot. I can get a used one for $185, new nissan $600, but I was told I should upgrade to a water cooled??? Any advice would be helpful, THANKS!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.