ZCar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finishing up an overhaul on a L24 and was advised to replace the harmonic balancer. I found a new aftermarket piece for a reasonable price but it only accommodates one belt and I have A/C. Can I use one from a later L-series engine, and where's a good place to buy one?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Crank pulleys can go bad especially when they're 30+ years old. Typically a crank pulley is a 2 piece unit with rubber and glue bonding the 2 pieces together. All z's from 70-83 use that style. When the rubber rots then the outer part can rotate on the inner part. A slipping fan belt can also cook the rubber on the crank pulley thereby breaking it's bond because it creates a static discharge.This not only changes your timing mark location but it also throws the crank pulley out of balance causing extra vibration and can eventually come apart and cause all sorts of expensive havoc like ruining radiators and/or crank shafts. Not a good thing in either case. I've been using a rebuilder for crank pulleys for many years and have never had a problem with their work. They rebuild most any kind of crank pulley, as long as their isn't any metal damage. They've been doing this service for many decades, and give the pulleys a limited lifetime warrantee. The pulleys are dismantled, blasted, they add 4 Beryllium wires to the 2 hubs which grounds them together so there will never be a static buildup, then they inject silicon based rubber into the unit, let it cure and then paint them black. Cost is 209.95 per unit and I give a 10% discount off of that price for zcar.com users which is 188.96. I charge a 200.00 refundable core charge or send me your pulley first. I try to carry the 70-72 pulleys in stock already rebuilt and the 75-78 pulleys as well. I have cores in stock for all models from 70-83 except the turbos. If I don't have a pulley in stock already rebuild, the lead time is about 2.5 weeks. Later on this year I'll be on the market for buying more rebuildable pulleys for the 70-83 so let me know if you have any and I'll start a file.
If you're interested send me an e-mail to [email protected] or call me at 360-668-2979.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts