1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 86 2+2 automatic.
Any recommendation on shift kits or upgrades for the tranny,
headers, high flow cats,
I've seen the pathy intake upgrade and I'm thinkin about that.
or what the **** I suppose I could just hy-po a 280

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
"suppose I could just hy-po a 280"

Maybe so!. The 2+2 automatic is one of the slowest Z's ever made. It would be an absolute waste to mod that car if speed is important to you. If you want to just have a nice cruising car then just do some minor mods and leave it at that. As for your question there is only one shift kit I'm aware of and it's from levelten.com. I believe they want 1800 for the kit not including install. Then it's another 1500 I think for the stall converter so that you can get quicker starts. Basicly it would be better to just convert over to a 5-speed with a lighter flywheel, not to mention cheaper. As for exhuast and high flow cats just go to your local muffler shop to have one custom made. Ask for a 2.5 inch mandrel bent exhuast system. If you can't afford the mandrel bent just get the crushed bent exhuast system. For headers go to www.zcarparts.com and make sure you get the optional jethot coating. The coating is well worth the extra 75 bucks for various reasons that I won't get into right now. As for the intake just make yourself a custom intake system by getting a cone filter and 3 inch diamter pipe long enough to replace the stock air box. As for the intake manifold skip the pathfinder manifold upgrade. There is way too much involved to make it work and on the non turbo it wouldn't be worth it. Do a search on what it takes to make the pathfinder manifold work and you will change your mind. If you want a performance intake manifold beg Engloid to make them again. He used to make custom ones but has taken a break from it for the time being. All in all you'll find it's cheaper and easier to do a turbo swap rather than add basic bolt on's to your heavy 2+2. For the cost of intake, exhuast, high flow cat, and headers you could buy a turbo engine to swap in your car. Lastly if you are dead set on modding your non turbo to to JimWolf Technology to have your ECU reprogrammed for better performance. It costs 600 bucks and will net you about 5hp. Then again as you said you could just get a 280z and do basic bolt ons to it that will kill your 300zx. Just look at my sig. Those are my 2 Z's with the mods done. The 280z kills my 300zx in every category except maybe gas mileage. I love my 300zx but if it's not a turbo it won't be fast.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
eh...maybe not a hy-po 280, but possibly a turbo z31?

with your 86 2+2 automatic NA, you got the least performance Z31.

About the most HP you're going to get out of a NA z31 without extreme modification or n2o is 200hp; the point at which a turbo z31 starts. 13 second 1/4 miles in a Turbo Z is as simple as Intake, Exhaust, Boost controller, and practice practice practice!!!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Non only the least performance Z31, but the slowest Z car ever made. Right there with a 2+2 260Z.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
The 260z got a bad rap becuase of the flat top carbs. They are faster then everyone thinks. I guess thats a good thing becuase since they have a bad rep prices on them aren't as high as the 240z. If people only knew the truth.....

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had the flat top carbs on my 75 and they were just temporamental as all ****. But when they opened up, my car would scoot.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i think you should find yourself a turbo doner car......... and do the turbo swap on the NA motor since its new..........
oh yeah and then get rid of that auto piece of ****. it will just cause you problems in the future, especially if you turbo it.

Post Edited (May 6, 11:57am)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.