ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to share my joy: I bought a '78 280Z Black Pearl this past Saturday, never heard it run (bought it because the body was in great shape), the former owner said it had a broken piston ring and didn't run anymore.

I posted several questions on this board asking about options for replacing the broken rod or getting a replacement engine, even drove to Motorsport Auto in Orange and asked them. But tonight, just as I was putting it on a lift to start tearing the engine apart, I decided to do something ridiculously simple and check the oil. Not a drop on the dipstick.

I put in 3 quarts, pulled the plugs and cleaned them (the car's been sitting in a driveway for a year, the gummed-up plugs smelled like varnish), replaced a leaking (squirting) fuel hose (dry rot), and fired it up. After about 5 seconds the knocking disappeared and it runs like a charm (except it has an exhaust manifold leak).

And to think, I thought I'd have to replace or rebuild the engine, something I have neither the time nor money for right now. I'll sleep a lot easier tonight.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Re: NoBoZo - Good thinking.

Congratulations...you must be greatly relieved. When I hear stories like that I always think about the durability of the L6 motor. Most last more than 200,000 miles, and I often wonder how or why someone says 'It just stopped running one day !...etc. Some don't want to put forth the effort to do the basics.

Have fun driving !

> Just had to share my joy: I bought a '78
> 280Z Black Pearl this past Saturday, never
> heard it run (bought it because the body was
> in great shape), the former owner said it
> had a broken piston ring and didn't run
> anymore.

> I posted several questions on this board
> asking about options for replacing the
> broken rod or getting a replacement engine,
> even drove to Motorsport Auto in Orange and
> asked them. But tonight, just as I was
> putting it on a lift to start tearing the
> engine apart, I decided to do something
> ridiculously simple and check the oil. Not a
> drop on the dipstick.

> I put in 3 quarts, pulled the plugs and
> cleaned them (the car's been sitting in a
> driveway for a year, the gummed-up plugs
> smelled like varnish), replaced a leaking
> (squirting) fuel hose (dry rot), and fired
> it up. After about 5 seconds the knocking
> disappeared and it runs like a charm (except
> it has an exhaust manifold leak).

> And to think, I thought I'd have to replace
> or rebuild the engine, something I have
> neither the time nor money for right now.
> I'll sleep a lot easier tonight.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Do you know how long the car was run for with out oil? something to think about

it can run but who knows what it did to the engine even if it was only for 30sec

but hopefuly every thing is in good shape

Jeff 280ZXT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Similar story, but it backfired on me

I used to have a 72 with an automatic that ran great but not a great body. Found a manual with a new paint job that didn't run. Went to change the engines and they had different crankshaft ends, so we put the engines back in the proper cars. Then I decided to try to start the engine that didnt run, but it ran smoothly. about 20 minutes into its first drive, the engine suddenly SIEZED. It seems that the guy who rebuilt it put both main bearings in the number 4 cylinder in backwards and it got no oil to that one cylinder. Had to have the crank built up and re machined ($200) get a new piston, rod and rings. It ran good after we fixed it.

Be careful with yours!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to hear a good story. Bought my 78 a few months ago with 54K on it. Replaced most fuel and water rubber and it hauls ass. Will replace all suspension bushings with urethane when money is available. Black Pearl. Good job my friend..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.