ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove from New Jersey to Florida, before I left I got my oil changed and everything. SO I'm driving down I95 and got to NC. When I got to the light I heard this weird noise. But I didn't really think it was nothing. So when I put it in first gear it starts making this sqwelly grinding noise then when i start rollong like at highway speed it goes away. it only comes when I stop and put it into gear, and reverse is the same thing. can someone help me thanks.

90 200zx 2+2

·
Registered
152 Posts
could be a throwout bearing going bad, or the bearin gon the input shaft of the transmission. i dunno for sure, but usually if thats the case then it doesnt matter your speed, rather the gear your in. being that the higher gears the shaft has less stress and is straighter.

had this problem on a 3-series BMW, not sure if it even applies. but its an idea.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Gotta drop the tranny, and you might as well do the clutch, pivot ball, the bearing, flywheel at the same time so I would say $800-1k if all above Yourself and depending if you get good and not overlycheap parts =0). dunno how much to have it done though

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Nope. About $450 in parts if you buy all aftermarket upgrades and do the labor yourself. Cost me an additional $450 in labor to have it done. Most of the time you can just resurface your flywheel and call it good.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
OK, well if you do that, but I got a lightened flywheel while I was at it and that was around $250-300 and the clutch RPS street for what $200-280? That right there is at your price =0) not to mention the bearing, pivot ball, rear main seal, rear tranny seal, oh, might as well do the 1-piece DS while its out, oh and the exhaust is already dropped so might as well get a labree system while your at it =0) J/K

Are you going to do the work yourself or have a shop do it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.