ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello im interested in getting a griffin radiator for my 71 240z ive looked at the cataloge and have a couple questions...first off can someone tell me which one will fit into a 240z (71) and am i better off getting a three core (row) radiator from M.S.A.???? also looking at the pictures in the summit magizine the griffin rads dont appear to have hardware or brackets to bolt the unit on the the car???? is it just me or am i blind how do these rads attach to the car????thankyou michele P.S. also is the 4 row rad from m.s.a. an over kill....my rad is shot the fins are like paper it gets very hot to touch much more than my other car....so...thankyou michele

· Registered
11,803 Posts
I'm using the Griffin "Chevy" radiator now. I mounted the radiator by having a shop weld 2 pieces of 2" extruded angle aluminum(bought at Home Depot) to each side for $20.00. I then just drilled four holes, using the original holes in the radiator support as guides, and mounted it using the original bolts. The only difficulty you will have is finding the correct hoses. The lower outlet is angled toward the alternator and is 1 3/4" in diameter. I had to find two hoses that spliced together to get the correct angles and diameters. I can't recall which they were off of. I sat in an Advance auto parts store for more then an hour just working out the angles from all the various hoses they had in stock. I ended up cutting one hose of 1 3/4" and adding another hose to get the complete lower hose assembly. I used a piece of stainless pipe on the inside of the smaller hose as reinforcement and inserted the smaller hose into the larger one after coating the outside and inside of each hose with rubber cement. I then used a hose clamp to secure the two hoses together. It sounds like a hack job, but it looked professional and has been I operation for more then a year with no leaks.

For the upper hose I found one hose that fit, but I had to cut it from a longer hose. Just look for what part of the hose fits and don't worry about the rest. You just cut the hose off at that point.

I did the Grifin radiator thing because I liked the look of the aluminum radiator, but if looks don't matter you should consider just getting a replacement "stock" type. It's a lot less hassle.

Good Luck

· Read Only
3,883 Posts
i have one on my v8 conversion and its fantastic. its cheaper then the 3 core from msa, looks better and also outperforms the three core. yes it does take a little fabrication to make it work. this is true but for your effort you cant lose. its just an excellent product for the money and performs like no other. i love em. james

· Registered
5,596 Posts
26 x 19

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.