ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to get the **** companion flange off today with no luck. It bent the 4ft angle iron that I had on the wheel studs. I also had a 2ft breaker bar and it would not even budge. To top it off, the socket slipped off and I cut the **** out of my finger. Anyway, are you going to use the flanges that you have? If not, can I buy them from you? If not, can you get me some? If not, I'm screwed! O.K., enough "if nots!" Manfifold looks good! Sorry about the screwup with the vacuum locations. I hope to have my motor together Monday. My dad had knocked over the old N-42 that I will be using until the P-90 is done. I had to take it to the machinist and have the dent welded and the cracks in the water jackets welded as well. Only cost me $150! When does it end? Have you ever felt like crying? I have! Later.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
They are on there good aren't they. Imagine me running around for two weeks pulling every different halfshaft and flange I could find. usually the flanges that were already showing were rusted and impossible to get off. The ones still attached to the halfshafts were alot easier, but still hard to get off. I broke my half inch ratchet as well (that's what Craftsmen are for, right?) Twisted two bars of angle iron into pretzels. I ended up using a big breaker bar and a heavy crowbar wedged in the studs to hold it still. I even took a torch into the yard and tried heating some of the nuts, but it didn't help. I'm pretty sure I can get you a set. I know where there is a set already off the car, probably cost $20 to get them and ship it to you. One day I'm going to spend the bucks and buy one of those monster impact wrenches that put out 600 ft/lbs of torque. If it doesn't loosen the nut at least it will break something. Can't you find another car to get the flanges off of? Some 2+2s used the same flange as the turbo 280zx. let me know and I'll pick you up a pair.
greg
71 240z- and everything you didn't want to know about CV shafts in a 240

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, looks like I will have to have stitches in my finger because the cut is so deep. My old man is also a Doctor and said it should be stitched. Anyway, I will take a set for $20 anytime you are ready. Give me your number so I can call you. Mine is 850-385-1433. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
hey guys, try this!

The VW's I started on had similar big (42mm) nuts with hi-torque requirements. To get them off, we used a tool cut out of 3/8" plate with the bolt-circle punched into it. Now the tricky part: This thing looked like a big lollypop, with holes in it for the studs. Then you took the "handle" of the lollypop, and bent it 90 degrees, so it would brace against the spring plate, locking the studs from turning, against the suspension of the car. I think you could do the same thing, only bend it the rest of the way 'round, so it would brace on the lower suspension a-arm. They could usually be cut at a local fabshop for about 40$

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.