ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this site while researching the the production numbers for my "newest" car: A 1993 300ZX convertible (501?) way less than I thought, I am VERY PLEASED!
Believe it or not I traded my 2005 Mercedes SL 55-AMG (CA. car) in on this (+ a wad of cash) last year, at a small warehouse dealer outside of Chicago. His remark to me was, "Why do you want to get rid of this?" Short answer: My wife hated the SL (being triple black didn't help) she found it "too loud, and aggressive (which I kind of liked) and wouldn't go anywhere with me. Also, I found it way too "technological." The owners manual was 2 inches thick, and I kept getting red flashing warning signs on the display every time I hit a bump (the crazy suspension control)! The last straw was when I found myself paddle shifting through freeway traffic at a 110 mph! As for the Z: My wife loves it, and my children AND grandchildren all want it! Nailed it! Interesting thing, I get "thumbs up & hay nice car" from people, even from a little white haired lady in maybe her 80's at the gas station this weekend. I NEVER got that with the SL, it had a very high "Jerk Factor" or rich S.O.B. Which I am not. The Z came out of Nebraska and was somebody's "Baby" zero rust, very clean, 98,000 miles, and "Arrest Me Red" with black interior. The radio had been switched out for a Sony one, no biggie. This is not my first Z, back in my youth I owned two 240Z's, even got to drive one on the track at Elkhart Lake Raceway alone, when I was doing graphic design work for them. OK, now for the truly crazy part: This car makes the 101th that I have owned (102 is a S10, I bought last fall)!
I guess you could say I have an "itch" that's hard too scratch? Even though the Z is only 1 of 501, I had a car that was only 1 of 254 - A Mera. I look forward to many happy discussions with you all, I love the Z, and I understand it. Hopefully I can keep this one. Otherwise my family will kill me! I will try to post a photo here if I can (Wow, I guess that worked) Drive Safe!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Your swap of Merc to Z makes sense to me. I'm on my 4th Z-car (208ZX) and hope you enjoy yours as much. Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your swap of Merc to Z makes sense to me. I'm on my 4th Z-car (208ZX) and hope you enjoy yours as much. Cheers!
Thank's I agree. It took me six months to find the dip stick in the SL! There isn't one! You have to access the "information center" for it to tell you what your oil level is? The SL even had 2 batteries - one to start the car, one to run the gizmo's ! Can you imagine the co$t to replace those? Oh, now I remember the name of the suspension system: Adaptive Body Control /ABC. I Guess, "technologically" I stopped progressing in 1993. I can live with that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I'm not a very active member, but because of the "self isolation" stuff, I'm on more often than usual. This's my first 240Z and we've got 2 boys that work on the car most of the time(one is a mechanic), so my poking and peeking under the hood days are limited now. But I do enjoy to drive it. I bought it with widen bumpers etc. but the boys took all out cause they are going for an original look. Enjoy your ride!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts