ZCar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there-
I'm brand new the the forum and probably a really long question but here goes.
1977 280zx was sitting garaged since 1992. I pick it up treated tank, placed in line filter, replaced injectors some rubber that was needed and fluids. Started right up and ran for 6 weeks OK. Didn't pass smog and I was told replace CAT. While stalling with that I was driving it once per week and one day it just lost power. Engine would idle, not respond to throttle, then died. Since then it will start occasionally but once it warms up and idle changes it dies. So I followed the book to trouble shoot the Control Unit. Got no continuity from Water temp sensor and Throttle control switch both at idle and full throttle. Am I on the right path? Should I replace those? I have spark and fuel so feels to me like air is my problem.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Could be one or more failed dropping resistors (small, metal box in the engine bay side wall just ahead of the clutch master). Refer to the testing procedures in the Factory Service Manual for your year (I don't believe there was a "ZX" in '77).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input! Turns out it was fuel pressure. New aftermarket FP and got the CAT replace per recommendation of mechanic friend because not passing COs for CA Smog. After new CAT retest and NO is high. Is that likely just too lean? Does the Carbon Filter have anything to do with that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts