·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got all both the struts and springs put on the back of my 83 Turbo,
i have one picture for now,
i will put up some more tomorrow.

[attachment 10554 TokicoFinished1.JPG]

here is a picture from the side with only the BACK done.
i will get to the front tonight if i find some spare time.
BTW, i do still have the factory turbo rims that go on the back,
but the tread on those got very low, so i swapped them out, fo the non-turbo ones i had laying around.

but i can defiantly tell that it is an inch lower.

[attachment 10571 NewSusinbackonly.JPG]

·
Registered
471 Posts
Re: Got the back struts and springs on the back !

Very nice...
They will transform the handling compared to the stock setup.
No more rear squat on takeoff!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yep! I already can tell a major difference when taking off!

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts

Cool!

·
Registered
860 Posts

I can appreciate your enthusiasm for your Z. Keep up the good work. I only wish that I would have gotten the fever sooner than I did. At your age, with the work you're doing, you'll know your way around a Z (and cars in general) before most kids your age know the difference between their ass and a hole in the ground.

·
Registered
697 Posts

nice but i have to ask if thats dirt or rust?thats not meant to offend just curious its hard to tell with the lighting,or maybe its my monitor!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks guys!
And that is all dirt.
I tried to brush it off before the picture, but it kinda just spread it around.
And the shop light made it worse.

·
Registered
773 Posts

Nice job, I'll be doing mine too when the weather warms up, unless you want to do them for me,lol.
Joe

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

thanks Joe
it really was not all that hard,
it took me about 2 hours to do both sides, and this was the first time i have done anything suspension wise, so i took my time to do it right.

i plan to do the front today, if i get some time.

also,
i was wondering if the 17 inch rims from MSA will still fit with it being and inch lower?

BTW, i finally tackled the beast and got the leak from the intake manifold leak fixed.
i found that i was only loosing about 1 pound of boost, and it sounds much better from inside the engine bay.

·
Registered
739 Posts

Should be fine using the wheels from MSA, just make sure you don't get too tall of tires. I'm still investigating what's best, but from what I've been seeing, most people tend to stay at or around, preferably under a 25" tall tire.

·
Registered
773 Posts

I'd shop around for the rims, MSA seems a little pricey to me. I bought some 14"Konig Rewinds on ebay for about $100 less than MSA was asking. But it's your call.
Joe

·
Registered
921 Posts
Evan,

Looks like you're doing a great job and you'll be very happy with the results. FYI, you can watch ebay for the centers on your wheels if you don't have them. The 6 spokes are the lightest stock wheel at 13 lbs. Not sure about the swashstikas.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks man,
i do have the center caps laying around somewhere from my prvious 79 ZX, and they will fit the turbo rims, i just have to find them first! lol
the swastika's seem to be a little bit heavier, but not that much.

also, do you think that the tires of the 6 spoke rims will fit on the turbo rims?
the only difference is that the turbo rims are one inch bigger.
and as fat as i know, i think that would be okay, but honestly im not positive.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Evan, looking good. give yourself more time for the fronts. Be careful with the spring compressors so you don't take your head off. Remember a light oil in the struts. While you have everything out, CLEAN those nooks as best you can.

Aren't the N/A rims 14"? The Turbo wheels are 15". Verify that. If true, then no, the tires are not interchangable.

Yes, the 17" rims from MSA will fit. Most of those are made to fit front wheel drive cars, so they have a completely different offset that will not bolt directly onto your Z. You have to use spacers. Verify when you speak with MSA that the spacers are included with the rims you are interested in. I know they do include those with some and that could be the reason they appear more expensive than eBay.

Climbing on soapbox for the whole Z Community: I certainly understand people wanting to save a buck these days, but it would be a real shame to the Z community if MSA or Black Dragon didn't survive the current economic storm. So whenever possible, look at supporting these niche companies so they will still be here when the economy turns and we are all searching for parts to feed of Z Addiction. /soapbox rant

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Indy83Turbo280ZX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Evan, looking good. give yourself more time for
> the fronts. Be careful with the spring compressors
> so you don't take your head off. Remember a light
> oil in the struts. While you have everything out,
> CLEAN those nooks as best you can.
>
> Aren't the N/A rims 14"? The Turbo wheels are 15".
> Verify that. If true, then no, the tires are not
> interchangable.
>
> Yes, the 17" rims from MSA will fit. Most of those
> are made to fit front wheel drive cars, so they
> have a completely different offset that will not
> bolt directly onto your Z. You have to use
> spacers. Verify when you speak with MSA that the
> spacers are included with the rims you are
> interested in. I know they do include those with
> some and that could be the reason they appear more
> expensive than eBay.
>
>
>
>
> Climbing on soapbox for the whole Z Community: I
> certainly understand people wanting to save a buck
> these days, but it would be a real shame to the Z
> community if MSA or Black Dragon didn't survive
> the current economic storm. So whenever possible,
> look at supporting these niche companies so they
> will still be here when the economy turns and we
> are all searching for parts to feed of Z
> Addiction. /soapbox rant

the turbo rims are 1 inch larger than the 6 spoke ones, so i guess that will not work, and i did talk to MSA about the rims, and the ones that i want are custom made for the Z's, and they require no spacers, and there are "supposed" to be a direct bolt on.
they are new on the site, so you may have not seen them yet,

and i already gave them some finacial help woth all the suspension i bought! lol
all of it put together was just a little over 700 bucks, but i think that so far, it is well worth it! haha

but the rims that i want, are going to be about another 700 bucks without tires, and then plus shipping and tires, it will probably be a little over 1000 bucks,
but to me the rims on a care make the most difference on appearance that anything else besides the paint and body kits, so i dont want to go cheapo on them! lol

·
Registered
921 Posts
The 6 spokes look a bit lost with the stock ride height, but fill the wheel wells better once lowered. Mine look a bit goofy since I use them to autocross and they sport 225/50-14s. Nice & wide, great grip, not much for style. The iron crosses with the 195/70R-14s look nice with the lowered ride height.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.