ZCar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess that "when it rains, it pours". While fixing my accessories relay/ignition switch problem described in my other postings I've noticed that the 1980 280ZX's power steering gearbox is leaking a substantial amount of power steering fluid from the output shaft. The amount of leakage is not a few drops here or there but leaves a rather significant amount of fluid on the ground if stationary and running.

I've tried to find a source for a remanufactured unit (which both Cardone and Lares used to make) but Summit, RockAuto, Autozone, etc. indicate these units are "out of stock". So, now what do I do? Does the forum know of anyone that rebuilds these things?

· Registered
2,830 Posts

· Registered
2,830 Posts

· Registered
2,830 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
280ZX's with power steering through the 1981 model year used a traditional worm-and-nut recirculating ball power steering system with the single exception being the 1981 Turbo models which used a rack and pinion. All 1982-83 models went with the rack and pinion. Since mine is a 1980 model I can't avail myself of their service.

· Registered
2,830 Posts
You might want to reach out to Z Club of Texas and Cowtown Z Club to see whom they recommend to work on the steering rack.

· Registered
2,830 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts