ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI im 17, a senior in high school, my dad got me a 89 300zx and i honestley have no clue what i can do with it....i love the car its my pride and joy...i talk about it more than i do about my girlfriend, but i love it..i know it has a lot of potential, but i dont know what upgrades to put into it, it currently runs nice and smooth, ive changed the oil and had to put in a new alternator. I really want to know what i should put into it...i.e cold air intake, upgrade to turbo, exhaust, etc.....please help...thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
http://z31.com/modifications.shtml

http://tboz.no-ip.com:10000/300ZX/TurboSwap/TurboSwap.html

http://thumper300zx.com/

http://www.redz31.com/

Team Green filter is better and a **** of alot cheaper. Im in the same boat. Got mine for christmas a week and a half b4 my 16th bday. I loved the car so much that i drove it around my neighborhood while my parents were gone that without a license because its such a great car. I am 17 as well and a senior. although i think im a bit more experienced(not by much at all) because my car likes to break or at least have stuff replaced. Umm ok
TURBO: I WOULD BUY 88hybrids setup once he starts taking orders. THATs the first thing. well worth it. I would but have no money(just had heads replaced) then air intake, then suspension then headers exhaust etc.

WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR!!

1.MONZA/PACESETTER PRODUCTs- never used them cause all the guys here HATE THEM. SO JUST DONT

2. INTRAX lowering springs. again no one likes theem and they suck.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR

TEAM GREEN AIR INTAKE- dyno proves they are better than K&N

Certified Mufflers are loved by these guys. Nuff said. email me with links so the guys wont get mad or if u have any questions that u think might get u laughed at. IVE probably already asked. HOLLAR back Names John where u at??

·
Registered
455 Posts
ALSO FIRST THING:
GO TO THE JUNK YARD AND FIND A NISSAN STANZA around 88-92ish and take the throttle body off that. Its like 30$ here and worth it, bigger than 300 stock helps a little with more air. Get it ported and polished for a nice finish

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks alot john..names michael..im from chandler, arizona...ill def. hit you up if i have more questions

·
Registered
373 Posts
unless you want to be like chezam and get a ford that you have to work on every day ..
F=fix
O=or
R= repair
D= daily
or better yet

F= found
O= on
R= road
D=Dead

·
Registered
455 Posts
ALSO GET AN EBAY ACCOUNT THEN BUY A HAYNES MANUAL

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
last time I checked I didn't see him asking for "the stupidest Idea's to give him" !!! WOW, open an ebay acount to buy a haynes manual!!! you're kidding right? because you can't go to ANY parts store and get one and save yourself shipping costs! and the other good one is get a bigger TB because it's worth it!! WOW, yeah its worth it!! RIGHT!!! thats the most worthless Mod you can do on your car, it doesn't give you sh*t for Horse power, just a total waste of money unless you upgrade a pile of stuff on your car it's worthless.

what should you do with your New car, the answer is simple, change the timing belt if it wasn't done before, if you don't know DO IT anyways, and after that DRIVE IT, thats about all you can do with your car for now, until you open an ebay account and buy a haynes manual!!!! hahahaha thats one of the dumbest things I've heard on this forum!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Mine was 10$ total, also some people like himself are lookking to upgrade his car in which case a bigger TB would be suitable. Thanks. I concur on the timing belt though, its a must. Dont WANT that to break

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
First off if it's a non turbo it has almost no potential to be fast, so don't get your hopes up. If you have a turbo then you are good to go. Second, don't listen to the guy that said to get the larger throttle body as it does nothing for power gains. It's been dyno proven and track tested to show that a larger throttle body on this car does nothing. You'll only need a larger throttle body if you have a really built up engine. Lastly, the first thing you should do is get it in proper tune. After that just enjoy it. If you want to mod your car go for it, just realize it will cost you quite a bit of money for not much in gains. If speed and power is really and issue for you then sell your car to buy a 300zx turbo or save up and drop in a 300zx turbo engine. In non turbo form these cars aren't going to be very fast even with mods. Also since you are only 17 you may want to get used to the car in stock form first. I know when I was 17 with my 300zx I did a lot of stupid stuff because I thought I had a really fast car. Stupid me was always doing 100+ mph to school just becuase I could. Luckily nothing ever happened but you may not be so lucky. Respect your new car and try not to abuse what it's capable of. Good luck and welcome to the club

·
Registered
51 Posts
hey johndrew24, does the stanza body bolt right on? i have an 88 that my brother rear ended someone in. so i could just go and get it off. feedback a.s.a.p. please

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
larger TB on a N/A is WORTHLESS
don't waste your time!!
I want to see those dyno slips were by changing the TB you gain more!! thats a load of sh*t! total BS

and for johnndrew24
only an idiot would have the HAYNES MANUAL as the number one sorce, you want to do things the right way and have acurate info you buy factory service manual...PEIOD, take the worthless haynes and shove it.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
RoyDean: As I mentioned and also th2thmansZ mentioned the 60mm tb does nothing, so why bother with it. Still if you want to know yes it does bolt right on but you need to still mess with the throttle positioning sensor to get it to run correctly and depending on which 60mm tb you get you may or may not need to block off the coolant lines running to it. Also you need to port match the intake manifold where the tb bolts to it to match the 60mm so that air flows correctly. It's not just a simple bolt on and go thing. It takes some knowledge and work to get it set up correctly and when all is said and done it won't do anything to make you faster.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
man, listen carefully
the only thing that will screw up your day is the if the timing belt snaps while you're driving the car, so make sure it was changed before, if you're not 100% sure then CHANGE IT
make sure your car is dependable before you start to mod it.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
88hybrid wrote:

> I dont have either one, Haynes, or Factory Service manual, I
> cant read.
>

And then there are the people who figure out by doing. Like 88hybrid.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.