ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my problem is that went I hit the accelerator it seems it is starving for gas. And then I accelerate to move and it is like put put. Well last week I put a fuel filter on it and still nothing. I put a FPR in the beginning of February. I had a new nissan fuel pump on my car for the past 2 1/2 years it is the one without the cylinder and it has the lifted arm instead. What can it be?? Oh ya timing is fine too.

DenZeL KnighT

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
My response to DenZeL KnighT's email to me:

"its hard to get the car moving at start up like it is
fighting me and final it moves. Now at normal driving
temp and stop at a red light or just stop briefly it
when I hit the pedal its like starving and then it
goes and sometimes makes the put put noise. Now when I
am at 40mph or higher it runs normal with no problems.
I need to get this fixed I have to get my car
inspected this month."

DenZel,

The symptoms you are getting suggest a number of different possible causes. Below I am listing some previous posts that have information on problems people have had that are similar to what you are expericing. Also - depending on the type of inspection you are receiving - it may still pass. If it is an emissions test and they are not actually driving the car during the test they probably won't know the difference, just bring it to them at full operating temperature.

Also, if you have not run the ECU codes before, you need to do it now. The computer that manages your emissions and fuel curves has a troubleshooting system that will literally tell you what the problem is. It's not that simple but that is the idea. If you don't have a Haynes manual for your Z, buy a "Haynes" manual (not Chilton) for the procedure and do it. It will tell you if the problems I am listing below are occuring:

Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor:

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=2&i=133035&t=133031

Common 84 and 85 na problem (this is a complicated common problem):

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=2&i=135978&t=135976

Again, I can't stress the importance of running the ECU codes to eliminate the obvious problems. If it turns out you need to replace the CHTS, follow the link below for a simpler way of doing so:

http://www.z31.com/repairs/chts.shtml

Good luck and let me know if you get it solved!

Post Edited (Sep 14, 12:25pm)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks stun85na I will try those out this saturday since thats the only time I have...And my timing is fine with the timing light since I went out at night to it and never changes as always which I am always shocked everytime. I will try these things first if you have any other suggestions let me know I went to nissan 3 months ago for my TPS and the ran scans on other stuff and said the CHTS is fine. But I will still check and find out with the colds. I always get paranoid of the CHTS all the time and think it aways comes back to that but you know what I am going to change it and put a new one w/ harness so I can get that paranoia away where I can sleep at night. Alright thanks again everyone. Anyone have any suggestions besides a Test Pipe since because of noise since I got pulled over for that to get ride of hesistation like the normal z31 produces what about a high cat convertor or any other suggestions to other components. I just hate that grandma acceleration like everyone kicks your butt at the traffic light but when you finally get 40mph than you can do anything. What do you think? Oh ya I have down the basement right now with a z31 intake manifold w/ 240sx TB. I am just saving money to get new sensors for the intake manifold like EGR valve, AAV, etc so I can drive problem free. Oh ya try going to AUTOPARTSGIANT.com a EGR VALVE BECK AND ARNLEY is only 83 bucks versus the 130 something like normal. Seems whole lot cheaper and also you can see the pics of the parts too try it out and free shipping over 50 bucks too!! Well course I am thinking about this as a later thing though.

DenZeL KnighT

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Take my advice: Unless you are really really rich don't replace parts unless you absolutely have to. Take the time to test them first and if they are not malfunctioning, don't replace them.

Save the money you would have wasted replacing parts that aren't worn out/broken and use that to purchase something worthwhile for your z31.

Most of us won't run out of items to purchase for our z31s, that's fore sure!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.