ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my second N42 head from a maxima in a local junkyard today... and it was actually extremely clean. It looked as if somebody had recently rebuilt the engine or maybe put on a brand new head before it was junked (weird, I know). Anyway... there was still the typical sludge and nastiness all over the outside, and still some chunky black stuff around the allen screws underneath the cam.

Anywho... I bought a spray bottle of Purple Power and soaked the head after I strung it up using rubber bungee cords, and let it soak for a minute or two. Then, here's the fun part... I cranked up the pressure washer and blasted most of the junk off of it on the first pass. I repeated a couple more times to make sure I had almost every speck of dirt cleaned off, and took it down to dry it with an air compressor.

This worked absolutely beautifully. The head seriously looks almost factory new (except a little carbon in the combustion chambers and exhaust ports). Now surely I'm not the first person to do this, but I figured I'd share the idea with anybody who hadn't tried it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know, that reminds me of what I use to clean carbon deposits off of stuff... lol

I've got a dremel, so I'm all the time buying new bits to do various things with. Well, I decided to try a tiny little "light duty" wire wheel to see what it did to the chamber on an old P79 I've got... it removed carbon with no problems at all. "Maybe I'll try the medium duty one..." I thought to myself... so I did. It worked even better. I could turn the dremel so it was brushing all over the valve seats, but it didn't damage them at all - it just flaked the carbon deposits right off of them. Don't try the heavy wheel though... it kinda scratches aluminum =/

I think the light duty wheel has copper wires, the medium duty wheel has a malleable steel wire, and the heavy duty one has harder steel. (Can't remember exactly, but that's what they look like in the packages.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.